Naturalized foreigners cannot obtain identity card before the elections

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
The Junta Central Electoral (JCE) suspended the identity card (c?dula) emissions to new registers until 2016 elections are over. Therefore, foreigners cannot complete their naturalization process until the end of the electoral period.

Oath ceremonies will be held normally and foreigners can receive their birth certificates, but cannot obtain their identity card (and passport) until this period concludes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well considering I've been waiting since he beginning of July for my Interpol report I guess waiting another four months won't make any difference. You would think that since I had an Interpol report done in 2012 and have been living here since that it would take about two days, but that makes sense, so it doesn't apply. Thanks for the heads up, Licelotte.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Makes me wonder what happens to Dominicans turning 18 between now and may 15th. Will they get a cedula and will they be able to vote? I suppose the reason for not issuing cedula's to new Dominicans is because the 'padron electoral' has been closed.