Looking To Potentially Relocate To Punta Cana From Santo Domingo

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Looking into relocating out to the East as the city has grown tiresome for me.

I've got a 4-5 year old kid and already looked at some of these schools-Punta Cana International and Cap Cana Heritage School? Does anyone have any experience with these schools? What are your thoughts?

Also, looking for housing-what are some decent areas around Punta Cana?

Are the expense for things significantly more than living in the Capital? A neighbor of mine here in SD told me this morning that it is not such a good idea as most things are more expensive there from eating out to groceries, etc. What has been your experience?

Thanks for your comments.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, it is more expensive and there is less to do culture-wise - those are the main disadvantages, but the pluses are the relative quiet, safety and cleanliness.

There is a range of options for housing. It depends on your budget and factors like whether you need to be near the school, the beach, shops, and so on.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Jimmy , I did it the reverse way around and moved from a property outside Bayahibe to Zona Colonial many years ago . I will be returning to la Romana within 18 months and definitely not to the Punta Cana area. I like to be within less than 2 hours drive from the shops and theatres and restaurants of the capital and also not too far from las Americas airport . I think your move is fraught with dangers but just a personal opinion.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you like living in a place with 24 hour electricity, very little crime, highways better than first world countries, no traffic problems then come to Punta Cana. Otherwise stay in the Capital.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
If you like living in a place with 24 hour electricity, very little crime, highways better than first world countries, no traffic problems then come to Punta Cana. Otherwise stay in the Capital.

Sounds like paradise lol

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Everything and most everyone in Punta Cana/Bavaro is either a tourist or involved in supporting tourism. Just an observation. A very artificial place in this respect.

Excellent beaches though, which is why there are tourists and tourist transports everywhere. And, many new buildings and businesses to extract more money from them while they are here.

Jan 7, 2016
yes, our power and cable tv is pretty reliable here...hardly any need for solar, even though the sun is intense most of the time...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I myself am very interested in the opinions on moving to Punta Cana from Santo Domingo. We have talked about it on and off for awhile now. The Capital has it's good points but after many years it starts to "wear" on you. We have spent time in Punta Cana over the years especially since most of our friends/family visit there rather than the Capital. In the end I guess the decision will be based on whether we want a more "laid back" lifestyle or continue with the grind of the Capital.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Santiago is pretty good, lived there a few years, but the capitol is too much in your face. Im sure you could find a family oruented area to move to. Visiting families is a bonus in punta cana, may be more intresting option if you can get an actual house over an apartment. Always wondered where the good family communities are in punta cana. Is there the equivelent of a campo in punta cana?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It also depends where you live in the capital.For example, I live in Zona Colonial and ZC is now a failry laid back place with no through traffic and you can walk around it fairly easily. I seldom use my car and go the picture theatres and Teatro Nacional in a taxi ..it really is most relaxing with few hassles . I would hate to live elsewhere in the capital. so ZC is not in my face as kapitan suggests .

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
We live in El Millon, and while we have thought about just moving to another area in the Capital, moving to Punta Cana does hold some interest for us. I have gone with my brother (who at one time was going to buy in Punta Cana) looking at properties a few times. However I am not really "educated" enough on where a good location would be. Condo would probably be more of what I would want. So I am "soaking" up what ever information I can find. The Capital as I have said has it's good points but sometimes change can be good...I should add that as of late I am traveling quite a bit to the USA for my parents as they are getting a bit older and flying in and out of Punta Cana a couple of times has proven to be less hectic than Santo Domingo, but again that would not be the deciding factor.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Sounds like a great problem to have, lol.

Santiago is, by far, the nicest and most pleasant "big city" in DR. Too bad it's not on the water, although the fact the weather is pretty pleasant year-round is a major plus.

That said, I'm more laid back than not, so given a choice of SD or the East Coast, I'd go with...Las Terrenas, lol. Seriously, it would be Bavaro. Hard to get tired of beaches like those, especially when they're close to movie theaters and a Wendy's. I know, I'm such a cultural sophisticate, lol.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Santiago is pretty good, lived there a few years, but the capitol is too much in your face. Im sure you could find a family oruented area to move to. Visiting families is a bonus in punta cana, may be more intresting option if you can get an actual house over an apartment. Always wondered where the good family communities are in punta cana. Is there the equivelent of a campo in punta cana?

Family communities include Cocotal in B?varo, Punta Cana Village, and Ciudad Las Palmas.

Do you mean "campo" as in countryside or village/small town? Away from the tourist areas there are several between Macao and Miches to the north of Punta Cana, or San Rafael de Yuma and Boca de Yuma to the west. Today, as it happens, we visited a family in the community of El Suero, on the edge of Cap Cana, which is one of the few "campos" within the tourist area.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I am also interested in moving from Maimon to Punta Cana. Yes it is more expensive, but the benefit is the proximity to the airport and direct flights to Panama.

Does anyone know a good realty website for the Punta Cana area?

Thanks