Is Dominican Passport necessary for a Naturalized DR citizen?

R?mulo P?rez

Feb 10, 2015
I am an American of Puerto Rican descent, born and raised in New York City.
I am interested in getting Dominican Citizenship.
I have a question: if an American acquires Dominican Citizenship is it mandatory that he/she gets a Dominican Passport?
I have had some friends who say no, that all I need is the c?dula and that I can enter and exit the DR using my American passport accompanied by the Dominican c?dula.
Some others say that I absolutely must get the Dominican passport and could get into legal trouble by trying to use the U.S. passport after acquiring Dominican Citizenship.
Which is correct?

Feb 7, 2007
Well, I don't have answer specifically to your question, but I can give you a similar example.
My daughter has dual citizenship and she enters/leaves the DR using her foreign passport.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife is Dominican and she doesn't have a current Dominican passport. She travels on her Canadian passport. No issues. I'm in the naturalization process and I'll only get a Dominican Passport if necessary.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Dominican immigration rules are a work in progress and I suspect will be for some time to come. When I searched, I couldn't find reference to any regulation that requires a dual citizen to use their Dominican passport to enter or leave the country. I did find a rule requiring a person to use the same passport to leave the country that they used to enter with.

As with most countries, citizens are not required to obtain a DR passport. If, however, you do obtain one, then I believe the expectation is that you use it. Certainly dual nationals will have a notation in their file. Whether this information is available to immigration officials at any/all ports of entry is unclear at this time.

Whatever the rules are here today, it's a pretty safe bet they will change several times in the future.

I have heard that native born Dominicans can enter and leave the DR with just their Dominican c?dula and their foreign passport from their second citizenship since the foreign passport will still show that they were born in the DR. The examples given above seem to fit into that category.

For a foreigner naturalized as a Dominican, it might be a different story in the eyes of the law. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband hasn't used his Dominican passport for decades. It's been expired forever. He enters and leaves with US passport and cedula.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Residency card and cedula should be all you need

as you read here, most of us do it that way.

All the passport accomplishes (from what i know) is to avoid residency renewals.
Cedulas always need renewing.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have dual citizenship the same as you want. The answer is you do not need a DR passport to come and go from the DR.
You just need your Cedula and your US Passport. But I would recommend getting a DR passport anyway. But you do not need one

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing, someone said that you need a DR passport to get citizenship. This is absurd. You can only get a DR
Passport AFTER you get to be a naturalized citizen.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I am an American of Puerto Rican descent, born and raised in New York City.
I am interested in getting Dominican Citizenship.
I have a question: if an American acquires Dominican Citizenship is it mandatory that he/she gets a Dominican Passport?
I have had some friends who say no, that all I need is the c?dula and that I can enter and exit the DR using my American passport accompanied by the Dominican c?dula.
Some others say that I absolutely must get the Dominican passport and could get into legal trouble by trying to use the U.S. passport after acquiring Dominican Citizenship.
Which is correct?

You are not obligated to get a DR passport once you become a DR citizen.
However, certain jobs in the DR will ask that you furnish a DR passport as proof of citizenship (like for the Gov in some cases or other institutions linked to it).

Other than that, not really a must have (for now).