Taxis in Sosua

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I figured it was cheaper to take taxis than rent a car based on my experience in Santo Domingo. Now on a weekend in Sosua, I get off Caribe Tours and had to pay the Moto Thug $100 RD to "find" a taxi then the ride from Caribe Tours to Grand Laguna Beach, probably 5 KM and five minutes, was $500 RD. Then after check in I wanted a taxi to the grocery store and back. Before leaving I asked, "How much?" He said $1000 RD, and I got out. Are these normal prices in this area? If not can someone give me a number for someone more reasonable?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Anytime you have to spend $RD 100 for something, write it off. That is just a little over $2 and not worth getting freaky about.

Taxis can be more expensive at night. The rule however, is negotiate the price before you get in. If your expectations are reasonable, you will have no problem finding a ride anywhere you wish to go - if not with the first taxi that may try to overcharge you, then with the next one or the one after that. There are taxis all over the place. Just keep asking until you find one that will accept what you are offering - some taxi driver always does.

There is a taxi stand across the street from Caribe Tours (a little hut on the embankment) and several along Pedro Clisante in Sosua. Can't find a taxi driving by, you must be asleep - walk to a stand and say "I have $RD ??? to go to Laguna Breach, who wants it?"

When you find a decent driver, ask for their card and tell them you will call them the next time you need a ride.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Anytime you have to spend $RD 100 for something, write it off. That is just a little over $2 and not worth getting freaky about. (...)
When you find a decent driver, ask for their card and tell them you will call them the next time you need a ride.

he says 1,000 pesos, thou:

He said $1000 RD, and I got out. Are these normal prices in this area? If not can someone give me a number for someone more reasonable?

the deal is that SD is large and the competition is tight. there are many taxi companies, you call, they give you a price, you ride. all reasonable. on the NC, not so much. the taxi mafia is greedy because of the tourists who do not know any better. so yes, generally the prices are much higher.

i would recommend staying with carritos and guaguas, moderate use of motoconchos and taking taxis only when necessary. and, as the post above says: once you find a taxi with decent driver and prices you can accept, get the phone number.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
If you find a taxi that charges less than 200 pesos to get in and go anywhere send me their number, OK?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
dont know 'grand laguna' but if this is near playa laguna.........then the taxis would ask for 1000 pesos to supermarket and back....but you can haggle down to 500 which is US$11.

and as for the 'thug'........really? you expect to be looked after with that attitude? everyone is out to make a dollar down here.

as DV8 says, find ones you like and keep their number. also if you are off the beaten track, you could go shopping with someone else and share the cost!!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
dont know 'grand laguna' but if this is near playa laguna.........then the taxis would ask for 1000 pesos to supermarket and back....but you can haggle down to 500 which is US$11.

and as for the 'thug'........really? you expect to be looked after with that attitude? everyone is out to make a dollar down here.

as DV8 says, find ones you like and keep their number. also if you are off the beaten track, you could go shopping with someone else and share the cost!!

I would say that's a pretty accurate description of a night moto-concho rider in Sosua! Sweeping generalization yes, but if the cap fits...............

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006

I consider anyone who pushes themselves on me without provocation and then demands money to go away quietly a thug.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
If you find a taxi that charges less than 200 pesos to get in and go anywhere send me their number, OK?

Are you saying that 250% of that is normal no matter where you want to go? Because that's all I wanted to know. I'll just cross Sos?a off my list of places not to rent a car.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I consider anyone who pushes themselves on me without provocation and then demands money to go away quietly a thug.

Do you tip a bellhop or doorman in a large city that goes in the middle of traffic in 5 degrees and hails you a taxi?
If there were 4 taxis right there then you should have shooed him away politely.

Youv'e been here before, so you know it's the WILD WILD west.
Perhaps you should stay in Saskatchewan if you can not adapt to locals.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Taxis in Sosua are not like Yellow Cabs in NYC where you just wave one down, and the prices are all the same or on a meter..
You need to build a relationship with one or more Taxis guys. they become sort of you Go Fer stuff friend.. u call them, they come, and you pay what you agreed upon... IMO, stepping into a new cab with a new guy every time, will just lead to frustration.. even from Charamicos to El Batey, they will ask to negotiate, start at 300, 250 is the regular gringo price, but the real price is actually 200 pesos..but they wont just give it to ya right off the bat.
just my .02...
and this is why I rent a Car.. even though it may cost more per day..

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Do you tip a bellhop or doorman in a large city that goes in the middle of traffic in 5 degrees and hails you a taxi?
If there were 4 taxis right there then you should have shooed him away politely.

Youv'e been here before, so you know it's the WILD WILD west.
Perhaps you should stay in Saskatchewan if you can not adapt to locals.

WTF are you talking about? Are you posting in the right thread?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Rey Taxi, Santo Domingo Este (809) 245-5555.
Last time I used them I took an air conditioned cab from Invivienda in SD Este to the
Caribe?ToursBus terminal in the heart of the city, easily a 30 minute ride without traffic...
Door to door I paid 200 pesos.

Sometimes it doesn?t hurt to negociate with people.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Taxis in Sosua are not like Yellow Cabs in NYC where you just wave one down, and the prices are all the same or on a meter..
You need to build a relationship with one or more Taxis guys. they become sort of you Go Fer stuff friend.. u call them, they come, and you pay what you agreed upon... IMO, stepping into a new cab with a new guy every time, will just lead to frustration.. even from Charamicos to El Batey, they will ask to negotiate, start at 300, 250 is the regular gringo price, but the real price is actually 200 pesos..but they wont just give it to ya right off the bat.
just my .02...
and this is why I rent a Car.. even though it may cost more per day..

I understand this. Which is why I opened this thread. I've just recently come to the realization that it's foolish to rent a car in Santo Domingo when you can go across town five times a day for less than the quoted (without taxes and insurance) daily rental fee, and you don't have to drive. However it appears to be a mistake to have applied that logic to Sos?a.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
In Santiago generally speaking the Taxis are also pretty straight up,, 150 pesos almost everywhere in the city, if its reasonably close.. I have even had them WAIT while going inside for Groceries for same 200 fare..
but Airport Runs are a different Animal, dog eat dog...

But Sosua,, Yeagh, completely different Animal , and generally they are HORRID. until you make a "Frennng" with one of them and let him know he got your business for like the whole week or 2 or what not..

I had one once wait OUTSIDE the Hotel Gate while I was still packing my Luggage, for like 2 hours ? .. and he knew exactly when I needed to go to the airport.. He did NOT want to miss that Last $20. Run to POP , cuz thats good money any way you slice it.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I have found that Sosua taxis are a decent,reliable and a consistent product. I have taken more taxi rides in Sosua than most. They are colorful and a GREAT source if info. For those that frequent Pedro, a contact with a good taxista is better than a contact with a Policeman,

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
One should be flexible. If you want secure and fast to a place take a taxi, minimum 150-200 pesos inside Sosua. Otherwise publico or guagua. And for fun and short trips concho.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Are you saying that 250% of that is normal no matter where you want to go? Because that's all I wanted to know. I'll just cross Sos?a off my list of places not to rent a car.

Not trying to be abrasive, no I was being factual saying that $200 pesos is about the bottom amount as far as I am concerned. I have my own car and refuse to live without one. If that time comes I will return to the family duplex in Tennessee.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i paid less than 200 pesos for a taxi in both SD and santiago but never in POP. ironically here it's cheaper for me to drive my petrol guzzler than use a taxi.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Is that because of traveling from Costambar? The local, Tecni-Taxi, fare in the city is 150 pesos.