Couple questions about Santiago

Clermont

Nov 5, 2015
How much does it cost to take a taxi from the airport in SD to Santiago? And, is it safe to take a taxi?

Second, how safe is Santiago in general?

Thanks.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
What means safe? Are you a young female? Are you arriving at 3:00 AM and thinking of taking a taxi just looking for a hotel? I got a taxi for six hundred pesos to my favorite Cabana which is a 4 hour hotel. Usually used for sexual dalliances, but when I arrive at 3:00 AM and the bus station is not open until maybe 7 AM one, not even an old guy like me wants to sit at the bus station waiting for the sun to come up. Oops, just noticed you ask about landing in SD. That is quite a trip. Figure on $100.00 USD maybe, just guessing.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
First off? Do you speak Spanish well. Are you meeting a female there. Have you done any research about Santiago. Or have you already been there. It still confuses me some and I have been going there for 12 years. If you met a chica online have her take the bus to SD and meet you there. Then you can navigate your way to the bus station and go to Santiago for short money.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Jut talked to a taxi friend of mine and he told me the going price from the airport in Santo Domingo to Santiago is about 5000DP.
Derfish was correct at about 100 U.S.
I've lived in Santiago the better part of 10 years and not once have I had a bad encounter of any type.
Two years in La Trinitaria, very upscale High Rise apartments with 24/7 security, and a few years in El Ensueno.
Both locations are close to El Monumento. Think of it this way, every city you go to is going to have good and safer areas, and other parts of a city really bad and unsafe.
Nobody can generalize the safeness of Santiago, you will have to inform us, if you know, what area you are going to be visiting. No neighborhood is really safe at night, best not to venture out a lot in the late hours of the evening.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I was once in a taxi at 4:00 AM in Santiago and I got more nervous than I had been in a long time when the taxista told me that I had only 2 friends in the city God and him!
Der Fish

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I was once in a taxi at 4:00 AM in Santiago and I got more nervous than I had been in a long time when the taxista told me that I had only 2 friends in the city God and him!
Der Fish

I learned recently that its still dangerous well after the Sun comes up in the city... I honestly did not know that, i had just assumed once its daylight, all is good.. Nahh.. the DR is a very unique place for sure... If you gonna arrive at like 3 or 4 am, with all your Suitcase ,carry on and stuff, better have your Duckies in a Row. for sure.. have a good plan.. and stick to it.

Clermont

Nov 5, 2015
First off? Do you speak Spanish well. Are you meeting a female there. Have you done any research about Santiago. Or have you already been there. It still confuses me some and I have been going there for 12 years. If you met a chica online have her take the bus to SD and meet you there. Then you can navigate your way to the bus station and go to Santiago for short money.

Yes on the mujer. Thanks.