Retiree pre-planning the move!

Debs435

Mar 15, 2016
Hello!!

My husband and I are looking into moving to DR next year, we have found the list of requirements paperwork-wise, but cant find a definitive answer to a few questions!

1. We are UK citizens but live in Spain, which DR embassy do we need to use - the UK one or Spain one?
2. We both receive UK Govt pensions for which we can provide the required documentation - is there a minimum amount we need to have each month?
3. Is it possible to open a bank account ahead of moving so we can arrange having our pensions paid direct from the UK?
4. Is it relatively straightforward to get all the documentation together ourselves, or is it easier to use a regulated company to do the work for us?

I'm sure we will have many more questions but these are the main ones!!! Thanks in advance for any replies and advice!!!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Welcome to DR1 from another resident Brit in Santo Domingo.

I have just checked the Dominican Embassy website for the UK and I can understand some of your uncertainties. They are out of date saying you apply for residency once in DR as you probably may have gathered reading this site.

1. You will need to apply at the London Embassy for a resident visa......I have attached the link on visas from the DR Embassy in Washington which should help you....scroll down to Resident Visas http://www.domrep.org/visa.html
2 You need to provide bank and pension details as part of the residency visa process as above link. My understanding is 1500US dollars monthly pension will suffice but that is for a single person and not sure in relation to couple. I am sure someone will chip and clarify.
3 Yes......I have always banked throughout the Caribbean with Scotiabank and they would require two references including from your current banks. You can contact them through their DR website and call them....they are very helpful. http://www.scotiabank.com/do/es/0,,6959,00.html
4. I am guessing you are proficient in Spanish having lived in Spain however having a lawyer at this end will make life easier.

Where do you plan to relocate to? I am guessing you have visited before and done your homework.

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My thought would be maybe have one of the two pensions deposited in a DR bank account, but leave the other in England. The Dominican banks do not automatically offer internationally recognized debit cards, and they are somewhat difficult to get. I gave up. The debit cards here are not usable to buy things on the internet, nor to pay bills back in England if any should arise.
Der Fish

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, I would recommend maintaining a UK bank account. When you get over here I would recommend using a local lawyer to help with the Residency process here - for the first year at least. I don't know where in the DR you will be living, but Guzman Ariza are lawyers with offices around the country and are recommended by DR1 members. They advertise on this site.

By the way, the process is slightly different for US people, so the link given above may not be the best. Get the information from the DR Embassy in London. I have done it in the last year, so may be able to help you with particular questions.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello!!

My husband and I are looking into moving to DR next year, we have found the list of requirements paperwork-wise, but cant find a definitive answer to a few questions!

1. We are UK citizens but live in Spain, which DR embassy do we need to use - the UK one or Spain one?
2. We both receive UK Govt pensions for which we can provide the required documentation - is there a minimum amount we need to have each month?
3. Is it possible to open a bank account ahead of moving so we can arrange having our pensions paid direct from the UK?
4. Is it relatively straightforward to get all the documentation together ourselves, or is it easier to use a regulated company to do the work for us?

I'm sure we will have many more questions but these are the main ones!!! Thanks in advance for any replies and advice!!!

You will need a criminal background check in addition to the rest of the documents. The criminal background check must be done in your home country. This also includes a
digitial findger print. When you have all your documents you will need to get these approved by the Domincian Consulate. These have to be translated into Spanish before bringing
them to the DR. You will not be able to open a bank account in advance. I wouldn't worry about that. I would leave your money in your current bank and then use a debit card as necessary to
withdrawl funds. There are many foreign banks that don't charge a fee for foreign withdrawls. When you arrive permanently in the DR you will need to hire an attorney to submit your documents.
What area of the DR are you considering?

Last edited by a moderator:
No way can you open a bank before hand, the banking here has aged me 20 years! Both my Scotia and popular accounts took me months to open and I own property here, residency, tons of bank statements/references, personal references had more than enough $$ etc... Other banks are a lot easier but I do love Popular!!!

I did the start of the residency in the Canada side myself, you don't need a lawyer or anyone it just takes questions to your embassy type thing. When we got here to the DR I used a lawyer to finish the temp residency, makes it much easier and a must for anyone who is not fluent.

Honestly I would not suggest to anyone to get residency before living here first, it is NOTHING like vacationing here and not everyone is cut out for this crazy life!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
This also includes a
digitial findger print. When you have all your documents you will need to get these approved by the Domincian Consulate. These have to be translated into Spanish before bringing
them to the DR.

This applies in the US but NOT in the UK. You can apply for the Police Criminal Records check online (I'm afraid I can't remember the website address, but I managed to find it via Google) and present it at the DR Embassy in London. I did NOT get it translated into Spanish and it was accepted. When you have presented your documents at the Embassy you will have to have certain ones "Apostiled" in London. Again, you can find places to do this online.

As I said before, I did the process last year, and it was different from a friend of mine who was doing it in New York.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This applies in the US but NOT in the UK. You can apply for the Police Criminal Records check online (I'm afraid I can't remember the website address, but I managed to find it via Google) and present it at the DR Embassy in London. I did NOT get it translated into Spanish and it was accepted. When you have presented your documents at the Embassy you will have to have certain ones "Apostiled" in London. Again, you can find places to do this online.

As I said before, I did the process last year, and it was different from a friend of mine who was doing it in New York.

https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_Online.aspx

....is the new police check for visas.

When I applied for permanent from temporary the requirement was a police record check which I obtained from my local police authority for 10GBP as indicated in the attached link.......

https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you are legal residents in Spain you may be able to start the process there. Worth checking with the DR Embassy in Madrid.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
IS there a place where to most Americans prefer to live in the DR?

Not one place. The country is small, but still there are many different environments. Just as in the USA there are millions of people who love New York, but many more millions who would not even drive thru it! If you like city life you have a few choices here, and small towns are abundant, and there is country living. Tell us what you are trying to get away from or looking for more of, and we can make better syggestions.
Der Fish

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
OPENING A BANK ACCOUNT:
We were hoodwinked by a teller at Banco Popular in Las Terrenas.
CCTV video proved it. The bank's management refused our attorney to see the film footage of the cash withdrawal that we saw together with the Branch Manager.

That is not to say all the tellers at that bank are thieves.
BUT, after trying to elevate the situation with the Banco Popular's senior management we encountered a culture of corruption and dishonesty beyond the pale.
Our suggestion is to try Scotia Bank if you can.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
There are several. The North Coast, the Samana Peninsula, around La Romana, the second city, Santiago de los Caballeros, and Santo Domingo, the capital.

But Americans live all over the country. More to the East and North than to the South and North

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Banking: We have been coming to Sosua for 6 years now. We are retired Canadians and own a condo here for vacations. Prior to
purchasing the condo we opened a peso and us$ account at Banco Santa Cruz in Sosua and have been banking with them since then.
We have had no issues with the service or the bank and I guess we are just lucky after reading some of the stories on DR1.
I have even corresponded with them from Canada and been satisfied with their response. Just another opinion.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
No way can you open a bank before hand, the banking here has aged me 20 years! Both my Scotia and popular accounts took me months to open and I own property here, residency, tons of bank statements/references, personal references had more than enough $$ etc... Other banks are a lot easier but I do love Popular!!!

I did the start of the residency in the Canada side myself, you don't need a lawyer or anyone it just takes questions to your embassy type thing. When we got here to the DR I used a lawyer to finish the temp residency, makes it much easier and a must for anyone who is not fluent.

Honestly I would not suggest to anyone to get residency before living here first, it is NOTHING like vacationing here and not everyone is cut out for this crazy life!

ha crazy life....i remember when i would send my gf money to pay rent/water/lights etc...no she would pay the rent and keep the money from utilities...close up the house etc...and while i wasnt there live close to her family(together)

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The Dominican banks do not automatically offer internationally recognized debit cards, and they are somewhat difficult to get. I gave up. The debit cards here are not usable to buy things on the internet

Based on my experience, yes, internationally accepted debit or prepaid cards are available, and at least with Banreservas are even offered automatically if you open a USD savings account.

The Banreservas card is a debit card connected to your USD account and can be used online as any other card where MasterCard is accepted. It?s a different story, would I do this with a Dominican bank account, but it?s doable...

BHD/Leon also offers internationally accepted prepaid cards.

I have used both cards multiple times online and the BHD/Leon one even in an ATM abroad, yet to encounter any issues...

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
There are many spaniards in Punta Cana Village. If you want an organized master planned community with
reliable electricity and shopping, near the beach,I would say this is a good start. I realize you did not say
you wanted to live among Spaniards but you may find something that is familiar. There are also plenty of
Americans and Europeans.

On another note Barcelona is my 2nd favorite place on this planet. Can we trade places?
Good luck on your move.