Legally married, no kids, NOW separated... DO I NEED TO PAY ALIMONY

Status
Not open for further replies.

algrundie

Mar 21, 2016
I am Legally married, I have no kids, and now I am separated for over 9 months ... DO I NEED TO PAY Alimony ?
I am 65 years old only have a government pension from Canada, I have no investments or property here, or in Canada.
My Ex wants me to pay her Support every month, I suggested she get a job, I went to Canada in June 2015 for 10 days, when I returned home here to the apartment all my furniture was gone, I only had a bed, personal
clothing, computer (NO flat screen monitor), 2 pots NOTHING ELSE, My wife took the car & the pisola as well,
I GOT NOTHING. I know I can get a divorce, but that is expensive.

WHAT IS MY RIGHTS ???

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Not a lawyer. My understanding based on a friends recent divorce is that your DR spouse would only have rights to assets you have in the DR, house, car, furniture, DR bank accounts. Anything you have in Canada like your physical assets, pensions, and investments are not accessible to her. I could be wrong but if that is the case return to Canada and stay away from the DR or return, wait a while , and stay well away from her and her family. I doubt she could afford the legal fees to pursue a lengthy legal fight to garner part of your Canadian pension anyway.

PS: At least she left you two pots to p*** in!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am Legally married, I have no kids, and now I am separated for over 9 months ... DO I NEED TO PAY Alimony ?
I am 65 years old only have a government pension from Canada, I have no investments or property here, or in Canada.
My Ex wants me to pay her Support every month, I suggested she get a job, I went to Canada in June 2015 for 10 days, when I returned home here to the apartment all my furniture was gone, I only had a bed, personal
clothing, computer (NO flat screen monitor), 2 pots NOTHING ELSE, My wife took the car & the pisola as well,
I GOT NOTHING. I know I can get a divorce, but that is expensive.

WHAT IS MY RIGHTS ???

It is a fairly small country, but in other ways it is fairly large. If you move to another city she will not be able to find you. Tell her and/or her friends you are returning to Canada and never coming back to this stinking island, but instead just go to Cabarete from Santo Domingo or whatever, and start anew. Plenty more women with the same female equipment.
I wouldn't worry about a divorce, they are costly, until and unless you find another you wish to marry up with worry not.
Der Fish

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
PM me after you get to 10 posts if you're interested in a divorce. I got mine cheap and fast. B*tch didn't know what hit her.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My Ex wants me to pay her Support every month

apparently support is only granted for kids:
http://laleydominicana.com/tag/republica-dominicana/
3. Despu?s del divorcio, ?debe mi ex pareja seguir manteni?ndome econ?micamente? ?Debo yo mantenerlo a ?l o ella?
No, despu?s del divorcio ninguno de los dos est? obligado a responder econ?micamente por el otro. Si su ex pareja acepta continuar d?ndole soporte econ?mico es porque as? lo desea, sin tener obligaci?n legal alguna. La ?nica pensi?n alimenticia que puede recibir es para la manutenci?n de los hijos que tengan en com?n, si es que usted tiene su guarda o custodia.

but:
http://leydominicana.blogspot.com/2014/05/10-preguntas-y-respuestas-el-divorcio.html
8. ?Tengo derecho a una pensi?n (manutenci?n) si me divorcio?
Si es mujer y debe abandonar la residencia familiar, tiene derecho a una pensi?n alimenticia solamente durante el tiempo que dure el procedimiento de divorcio.

so maybe it's better that you tighten the belt and get the divorce asap.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Two choices - Divorce legally, and go through the bull****, but maybe she'll have to give you the car back and half the value....etc.
Move to a different part of the country and consider yourself lucky you weren't farther monetary involved with the woman.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Not a DR lawyer, but would strongly suggest you contact one. If you just sort of disappear off, she may very well retain rights to your estate after you pass. For practical purposes, other than life insurance, that means anything you have, wherever it may be.

If you have kids from previous marriages/relationships, they likely will not want to deal with someone coming out of left field, rightly claiming 50% of your stuff after you pass.

Trust, this happens entirely too often, so consider seeking Dominican counsel, or divorcing her from Canada.

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Not a DR lawyer, but would strongly suggest you contact one. If you just sort of disappear off, she may very well retain rights to your estate after you pass. For practical purposes, that means anything you have, wherever it may be.

If you have kids from previous marriages/relationships, they likely will not want to deal with someone coming out of left field, rightly claiming 50% of your stuff after you pass.

Trust, this happens entirely too often, so consider seeking Dominican counsel, or divorcing her from Canada.

We've been told on this forum several times that a wife does not inherit in this country.
Seems hard to believe, but that is what has been said by the experts. Only blood, unless stated otherwise in a Will.
Der Fish

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
How long were you married? where did you marry? I don't know about Canada, but if you're married more than 10 yrs & you were married in the US, you pay post-matrimonial support. And it's determined via mediation or court.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
We've been told on this forum several times that a wife does not inherit in this country.
Seems hard to believe, but that is what has been said by the experts. Only blood, unless stated otherwise in a Will.
Der Fish

Wow. Patriarchy lives and breathes.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Wow. Patriarchy lives and breathes.

I sse it as the opposite. Feminism calls for equality of the sexes, and just because a man supported a woman while she was with him should not mean that he is forced to do so after they are no longer together if a fairness attitude is followed.
Der Fish

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Getting married is a bad business deal for a man. The marriage concept is out dated and favors the woman, always. If you marry a Dominican you may as well let Bernie Madoff manage your money.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Der Fish

i understand that the wife gets 50% because that's hers anyways. what is the subject of the inheritance is the 50% that belonged to the husband, which is to be shared equally between the kids.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Der Fish

Well, a few things. First, the marriage would most likely be recognized in countries outside the DR, and subject to their respective laws.

Generally in the US, that would put her in business for half the estate if OP has kids from a prior relationship. I don't know the rules in Canada, but would not be surprised if they were similar.

She's already proven she has no problems taking the OPs stuff, and if she was substantially younger, she probably married him largely for her perception of his being relatively well-to-do.

Which probably means she's not done. I wouldn't chance it.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Der Fish

Also in Canada, only the people named in his will would be beneficiaries of his remaining assets. Government pensions, CPP, OAS can have predesignated heirs before you start receiving them. Ultimately what's in the will usually holds true. She can't afford the money to hire a Canadian and DR lawyer to chase your assets after your dead. And if she did, it could be years before probate court decided in her favour. Ain't going to happen unless Canada and the DR have some legal reciprocity agreement regarding divorce assets and that's highly unlikely.

As mentioned if you get a quick cheap DR divorce, you may get half your DR assets back. If you think it's worth it go for it. If not tell her to keep what she has and forget about the alimony because it isn't going to happen. I'm guessing she will sign the papers quickly and not contest anything. A rubber stamp divorce basically. Then your free and clear.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think employing a lawyer to fight this through divorce would be a pain in the ass and you'd only come out of it worse in the end.

If you divorce her then she'll probably take you to court and the magistrate will award her half of the stuff from inside, but only half.
Unless she is a young beauty and you are an old wrinkly in which case they could well consider she has earned the lot.

But now you have to deal with the reality. First point of call is
not to employ a lawyer to fight the divorce, but to hire a one to have her arrested. Law works headsup in DR for the first one to
have the other arrested. If you have her arrested for theft, and it is theft, then you have something to bargain with and you have
the upper hand.

If you show sympathy for her through this then you will regret it. Just get her arrested for theft. You paid for everything, right?
You have the receipts right? You are never going to get any of that back, face that, it's hard but accept it. She'd sooner sell
everything she has of yours before give it back.
What you are looking to get out of this is your car back. The car is in your name right? You might have to go with the Capitan
from the local station to where she is to retrieve it, and slip him a few mil for the effort.

But if you navigate this all well and quick, you can be in contact with your lawyer who is having her arrested for theft so that
she is not there and you can just turn up with the Capitan and evidence it is your car, and take it.

Divorce will be no problem in favour of you as you will have logged the reason for the divorce in the arrest, and so either way,
getting her arrested works for you in every way.

Then move, and forget the rest. If she is a bitch then she'll probably make some fake accusations against you, to have
you arrested and locked up until you agree to sign to pay her a pension or somesuch.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
It is a fairly small country, but in other ways it is fairly large. If you move to another city she will not be able to find you. Tell her and/or her friends you are returning to Canada and never coming back to this stinking island, but instead just go to Cabarete from Santo Domingo or whatever, and start anew.Der Fish
If you go to the tourist-beach-towns and your wife likes to improve her financial situation every now and then, sooner a later you will hear a familiar voice saying "hola papi".

Status
Not open for further replies.