when exactly to renew

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
So my residencia is almost finished. April 7 to be exactly. When can i start doing the renovation, before or after and maximum how much after that date?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My understanding is a month before expiration you may submit the paperwork for renewal. For every month after expiration you will be assessed a monetary penalty. I have heard of someone renewing almost a year after the expiry date. I do not know what the max after expiration time limit is.

If you attempt to use an expired residency card to enter/exit the country it will be confiscated by immigration.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
30 days. I just did it because I wanted to move the expiration date into March avoiding Semana Santa and it worked!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My understanding is a month before expiration you may submit the paperwork for renewal. For every month after expiration you will be assessed a monetary penalty. I have heard of someone renewing almost a year after the expiry date. I do not know what the max after expiration time limit is.

If you attempt to use an expired residency card to enter/exit the country it will be confiscated by immigration.

I'll see next month, I'm am in the process of naturalization and my residency and Cedula have been expired since November 2015. Apparently my Interpol report will be complete next month and then I can pay my 5000 pesos and wait for the oath and swearing in as a citizen. I will have a letter next week from Ramon Fadul Fadul , Ministro de Interior y Policia stating that my process is underway....etc. This is supposed to solve any problems with coming and going. . I doubt they will take my Residency or Cedula. I guess I find out.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think if you can demonstrate that you are in the process of renewing or naturalizing with a document submission receipt, an expired card may not be taken away. If however, it is just expired and you cannot show that you have recently renewed, the results may well be different.

A lot probably depends on who you are standing in front of and whether or not they have been yelled at by someone already that day.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I started the process at the beginning of the month. Paperwork and medical exam one afternoon. Was told to come back in 10 days to two weeks. Went back two weeks later and had photos taken and received card. Got it two days before old one expired. They kept old card.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When I renewed my res in Feb, lawyer told me 30 days but that may or may not be correct or applicable to all renewals or situations. Consistency in processes still seems to be a DR long term goal.

Check the govt website and hope for the best.

Feb 7, 2007
@peep2 - this is strange you could not have completed the process in the same day, usually it's been same day renewal for me. Did you pay a VIP fee, or by chance done renewal in non-SD office?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
@peep2 - this is strange you could not have completed the process in the same day, usually it's been same day renewal for me. Did you pay a VIP fee, or by chance done renewal in non-SD office?

Permanent residents after 1998 require a medical to renew and the medical results must be made available 10 days after the medical.

Those from before 1998 could perhaps get their renewal quicker......but they should be 'definitive' residents.

http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/...sidencia/renovacion-de-residencia-permanente/

I'm seeing something different in the above requirements now.......no proof of financial support required for permanent residency renewal.........when I did it some 18 months ago I needed past 6 months bank statements. The 5 times temporary residency appears to be the test for this.

The 45 day before rule is mentioned in the link below...which refers to permanent residency.....but the 45 days text specifically refers to temporary residency and appears to state you must apply 45 days in advance. but then there is a tariff for late application at 500rd (monthly??)

http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/...icitudes-de-residencia/residencia-permanente/

I applied 45 days early for my permanent renewal and it all went through quickly from the application date.

Don't understand people applying late having invested time and effort gaining residency and putting it at risk.....would someone who travels internationally rationally let their passport expire?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Did it in Santo Domingo. Not sure why but had to do a medical exam this time around. Takes a while for the blood and urine tests to come back. Was told that this one was good for four years. Next one will be good for five, next for six, and so on. Not sure I believe that but will be interesting to see if I live long enough to find out.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Did it in Santo Domingo. Not sure why but had to do a medical exam this time around. Takes a while for the blood and urine tests to come back. Was told that this one was good for four years. Next one will be good for five, next for six, and so on. Not sure I believe that but will be interesting to see if I live long enough to find out.

Medical comes with first temporary application but not with renewals as I understand, then and with change from temporary to permanent and at each permanent renewal which I understood was for 2 year then 4 year then 2 year periods......but that may have changed.

There is a ten day stipulation on clinic to return results for permanent residency renewals as link I posted and they did exactly that for me.