Questions about Cell service in DR

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am curious about cell service in the DR. I currently have StraightTalk wireless in the US and my phone cannot work over there according to them for International Roaming. Tried to search on here to see if I could get some help but I didn't find what I was looking for. So these are my questions that I have.

1. Is it possible to just get a simple prepaid phone from Claro or Orange? Their prepaid plans seem to work a little different than the ones here.

2. Is it possible to buy an international calling card to keep in contact with my loved ones over in the US or would it be better to buy a service to call with claro or orange?

3. With me being on a weekend trip would it be worth my time just to use WiFi and apps to stay in contact with people(whatsapp, tango etc)?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
3. With me being on a weekend trip would it be worth my time just to use WiFi and apps to stay in contact with people(whatsapp, tango etc)?
For a WE trip I wouldn't bother with either roaming (usually too expensive) or a local line, unles it is a WORK/business trip that requires frequent communication. O/W I'd just use wi-fi. Even if you had to pay for it (may or may not be the case, depending on your hotel) it should still beat alternatives in terms of convenience and price (and it should add up to only a few hours of your short trip time).
Presumably during day time you'd be mostly by the beach or pool or some other tourist-type activity where a phone wouldn't be convenient or needed.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You can pick up a used phone cheap here for use on Claro at a Claro shop.

Following is with the assumption that "WhatsApp" works using "Mobile Data" turned on.
I have used it to access the Internet but not "WhatsApp".

Put in pre-paid cards, or add money at a Claro Store.
The higher the value of the card, the more bonus free time you get - I use $250 peso cards.
Turn on "Mobile data" on the phone, and use "WhatsApp".
Should not be expensive at all for your short trip.
Claro calls to the U.S. via your D.R. phone number is about 7 pesos(?) a minute.

I would avoid having people in the U.S. calling you on the D.R. number - Expensive for them.

Depending on free wi-fi is not good, unless you stay in one place that has it.
Otherwise you will be off-line most of the time.

Hopefully better informed people then me on this subject will respond.