Description of Madame Dessalines

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is the first time I stumble upon a description of Madame Dessalines, the 'official' wife of Jean Jacques Dessalines. It was published on February 14, 1805 in The Otsego Herald, a newspaper somewhere in New York state. Seem to me that Dessalines' wife was probably doing some fooling around on the side, because her interest seem to have been just towards the men. Apparently she was very handsome looking too.

Madame_Dessalines.jpg

Does anyone have any other type of information about her? Any interesting sources?

She was the first First Lady of Haiti; and, at that time, the most powerful black woman in the world.

Aug 6, 2006
Her face is attractive, but her body is thick, clumsy and vulgar looking. Sort of mixed signals.

At least she has a ftrong preoffeffion for Frenchmen.

El Mayimbe

Jan 25, 2015
Why would DR1 be interested in the looks of a typically ugly haitian? Forgive me for being blunt

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have never seen a portrait of her. Considering the article was printed in 1805 in what was a very white and very prejudiced country (USA), if the author says she had a handsome face, I will take that at face value.

I am interested in more information about her. I think she merits some attention. She's described mostly in positive terms which, again taking into consideration the time period and the place, means she must had to be quite striking in a positive way as per those points.

Her husband was never described in such positive form. That guy was depicted as extremely ugly, extremely cruel, a brute that couldn't read or write and yet had the power of life and death over many people.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
df70da815db12cb8f4b608f5ea54aad5.jpg

http://www.magazinetransatlantique.com/fr/articles/2015/notes_conference/index.html

Google translation

MARIE-CLAIRE CLAIRE FELICITE DESSALINESMARIE-Dessalines
(1758-1858)

Origin:
She was born in 1758 in Leogane, Felicite Guillaume and Marie-Sainte Lobelot. Family of modest means, Marie Claire Felicite see early education entrusted to his aunt Elise Lobelot, housekeeper among religious of the Order of St. Dominic.

Social context:
She lived periods of Pre-revolution, revolution and post-revolution Haiti. freed slave family, she spent part of her life in the convent. Her first husband died soon after their marriage. It was one of the first war of nurses recognized Haiti. It will be the first Empress of Haiti since married Jean-Jacques Dessalines October 21, 1801.

attributes:
Humble, devout, peaceful, honest, gentle, generous, elegant simplicity of manners and thirst for justice. She possessed a wisdom and humanity out of the ordinary for everyone. It was said that she had no enemy.

Choice:
She risked her life, her health and her marriage to ensure the survival of his neighbor. Written rehash an event in Jacmel, in a civil war, where she was able to obtain approval of a commander to rehabilitate an entire village ravaged by famine, disease and death. She actually saved a lot of the villagers in the care, giving them food, rebuilding homes, etc. Even when she became empress, she continued to care for the needy. When her husband died, she was arrested and held captive for several years with her. Subsequently, a new government requested that poured him a pension for his legendary contribution. After his years, his little son in power stopped payment because of false charges against her have quickly been denied. Disappointed, when it offered to pay him a visit of homage, she refused. They tried to triple the previous pension offer ... She refused to accept it and died in modest circumstances.

His legacy:
She was an accomplished woman model, integrates, wise and generous. A quiet force, in want and in abundance, showed an unchanging goodness. She experienced incredible hardships but never compromised and always made the choice to live and share love.

Last edited: