Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is LaserPac in Bavaro? I have not heard of them before. I have heard of EncargoPac. Latest update on the TV. It has arrived in Bavaro and will go and pick it up today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it has suffered to internal damage with all the travels which has taken place. I was told to plug it in before leaving the premises with the TV since after leaving the premises, they have said they are not responsible. Any advice from those who have ordered television from the U.S? I have also been told to only plug my TV into a power strip since power surges are quite common in the D.R. and can fry electronic goods that are not protected accordingly. Anyone wish to share their fried electronics story?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

TV made it safe and sound to Bavaro......and in one piece! I was not charged anything extra by customs. I paid less than $200.00 U.S. For the TV, therefore no extra taxes....,However it cost me a $100.00 U.S. To retrieve it from EPS. 15.5 LBs was the total weight....Yikes! But I must say, it is still a better deal than paying over inflated Dominican prices for a TV which was refurbished, and being sold as new. Anyone have had any issues with power spikes damaging your electronics??? I have heard these spikes are not uncommon in D.R. Thanks again for all the responses.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Power spikes occur. Especially during intense thunderstorms with frequent ground strikes. More frequent are under voltage conditions. If you own your house, there are line conditioners and whole house surge suppressors you can install. However, they will cost more than a single $300 TV. If you have multiple TVs, high end audio system, expensive refrigerator, microwave etc, it may make sense.

Otherwise, get into the habit of unplugging those appliances that do not need to be plugged in all the time and certainly unplug items that are not being used until a storm passes.

My computer UPS will alert me to under voltage conditions. My computers are protected but if the condition last more than a few minutes, I have me refrigerator plugged into a smart plug and power to it will be cut until the line voltage returns to normal.

Power here is like the water: Dirty, dirty, dirty.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Much appreciated....Thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12