Business expenses

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
This one goes out to all business owners in DR.
How do business expenses work in DR?
Are they similar to those we have in the U.S./Canada?

Can you please give me some examples of standard expenses you can use
at income tax time?

TIA

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You better talk to a (serious) accountant. Not to one who can tell you what you can get away with but one that tells you what actually is correct.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've met a lot of gringos who own businesses across the island.
I've never met one who's paying taxes, other than a few running
bars and hotels around Sosua.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
This is very interesting CristoRey.
I would be interested in hearing how they go about doing this.
I wasn't planning on skirting taxes, just minimizing the amount we will have to pay.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
This one goes out to all business owners in DR.
How do business expenses work in DR?
Are they similar to those we have in the U.S./Canada?

Can you please give me some examples of standard expenses you can use
at income tax time?

TIA

i am a foreigner here and i do pay my taxes every month. Most important, what kind of business do you have? all depends on that! Do you have an RNC for your business? Everytime you purchase something for the business, do you ask for comprobante fiscale? When you pay rent etc do you get a bill?

Jan 17, 2009
You need an RNC for your business. You can deduct ITBIS you paid on your business expenses on your monthly ITBIS report. Actually, it works like a value added tax. You report collected ITBIS and your deduct the amount you paid. To do this, when you incur the expense, you need to request a "comprobante fiscal" and provide your RNC.

In terms of deducting business expenses from your income, yes, you can do it the same way you do it elsewhere. The DR does not seem to follow very closely generally accepted accounting principles. They seem to have looser standards :)

My experience with accountants here is that they don't know much. It's regrettable. I, with an MBA in finance, know more accounting than most here.

This is very interesting CristoRey.
I would be interested in hearing how they go about doing this.
I wasn't planning on skirting taxes, just minimizing the amount we will have to pay.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
i am a foreigner here and i do pay my taxes every month. Most important,
what kind of business do you have? all depends on that! Do you have an RNC for your business?
Everytime you purchase something for the business, do you ask for comprobante fiscale?
When you pay rent etc do you get a bill?

Fabric business.
Yes we have an RNC.
No store yet.
We will be signing a lease shortly.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
You need an RNC for your business. You can deduct ITBIS you paid
on your business expenses on your monthly ITBIS report. Actually, it works like a value added tax. You report
collected ITBIS and your deduct the amount you paid. To do this, when you incur the expense, you need to request
a "comprobante fiscal" and provide your RNC.

In terms of deducting business expenses from your income, yes, you can do it the same way you do it elsewhere.
The DR does not seem to follow very closely generally accepted accounting principles. They seem to have looser standards :)

My experience with accountants here is that they don't know much. It's regrettable. I, with an
MBA in finance, know more accounting than most here.

Thanks E-i-C.
We have an RNC and are familiar with the ITBIS deductions etc.

We were wondering about expenses such as business trips (flights, meals etc.).