Warm Canadian hello

dmarie

Jul 1, 2016
Hey There!
I've posted a couple times, but figured it's time for a formal greeting.
I'm a teacher from Canadian who recently relocated to big bad Santo Domingo where I'll be teaching at an International School for the next year.
I previously lived in San Jose de Ocoa for about 9 months as a volunteer. (I'd highly recommend a visit if you've never been)
I'm living in Gascue and so far just exploring outside of my comfort zone. (I had only been to Zona Colonial and Boca Chica previously)
I'm also looking forward to spending my weekends in other provinces; I love a good beach and plan to spend as much time as possible by the water.
If you have any ideas of cool things to do, I'd love to hear it! I speak Spanish, so I'm not one to shy away from any experiences I can get in the DR.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey There!
I'm a teacher from Canadian who recently relocated to big bad Santo Domingo where I'll be teaching at an International School for the next year.
I previously lived in San Jose de Ocoa for about 9 months as a volunteer. (I'd highly recommend a visit if you've never been)
I'm living in Gascue and so far just exploring outside of my comfort zone. (I had only been to Zona Colonial and Boca Chica previously)
I'm also looking forward to spending my weekends in other provinces; I love a good beach and plan to spend as much time as possible by the water.
If you have any ideas of cool things to do, I'd love to hear it! I speak Spanish, so I'm not one to shy away from any experiences I can get in the DR.

If you have access to a vehicle drive to the Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas. Some of the best beaches in the DR will be found in LT, Playa Bonita and Coson.
Stay on Playa Ballenas in Las Terrenas. Hotel Colibri is a perfect spot on the beach. Good luck and good travels

dmarie

Jul 1, 2016
I guess it's good that I'm on an English forum: Spanish 24/7 is clearly affecting my English skills. (proofread this three times to make sure there are no mistakes)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I guess it's good that I'm on an English forum: Spanish 24/7 is clearly affecting my English skills. (proofread this three times to make sure there are no mistakes)

Don't worry some of us (me) do things like that all the time. Welcome to DR1 ;)

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Welcome!

Welcome to DR-1. Thanks for the thumbnail sketch of your interest in and attachment to the DR.

As I always say, keep a thick skin and a gimlet eye, and you will have fun (and even learn a few things!) on this site. Good luck with your work as a teacher: critically important!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Hey There!

Welcome from another fellow Canadian who loves the DR people, culture, and climate. I winter on the North coast and spend time seeking out remote areas and beaches. Respect the people, explore as much as you can, and you will be fine. You've lived here before so your aware of the potential risks.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Welcome to my Country, good to know you visited previously and have seem diferent places, so you will be more used to the Dominican life.

Greettings from San Pedro.