A call to arms against hard to dismiss cell phone advertising...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Orange is my cell service provider. I am on a post pay plan.

Several times a month I receive these promotional messages from Orange. These are not text messages but but direct popups on the screen. They are denoted as being from "Mi Sim". If I see them quickly enough, I can dismiss the message with just a couple of taps on the cancel button, they go away never to return until the next promo is sent.

If however, If I don't dismiss the message quickly, I have to hit the cancel button an insane number of times to make it go away.

Anyone know and understand the deliver mechanism involved here? Orange auto-installed a SIM toolkit app when I activated my phone. This toolkit contains payment options, shopping options, entertainment, horoscopes etc. I never use it and haven't paid it much attention. Anyone know if this app is in anyway related to the pop up sales messages that are so hard to dismiss?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This app IS doing this. I don't use Orange, but on Claro if you go into the Sim App there is a way to stop this.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I am on a pay as go you plan and also receive promo messages occasionally. I don't have a SIM toolkit app installed. As far as I understand, those come as USSD messages and there are some apps that can block them.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I have Claro and I used to receive similar annoying ads all the time and it all stopped after I disabled it in Claro sim app, you should look in the sim tool apps and disable it there.

Or you can take it to Orange and have them deal with this.