Guy hit on bike between Sosua and Cab

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
About 3 weeks ago about 12:30am we were driving from Sosua and Cab and we saw a guy on a bike pass us REALLY fast - he looked light skin and bald. Later up the street near Playa Encuentro we saw his bike in pieces and a car totaled. Someone in our car said it was a gringo and hes dead (I didn't personally see the body - it happened really fast) - I had thought it was a Dominican but my friend was certain it was a white guy. Afterwards I found nothing about the accident on FB or in the news. Did anyone see or know anything about this? I have a friend here who drives his bike WAY to fast all the time who has not been answering messages on FB for about the same period of time so I am beginning to worry.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
You may want to pay him a visit, if you have an idea where he lives. Hope he's ok.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There was an American guy that was working as a dive instructor in Sosua that lived in Cabarete, that died in a motor-bike accident about 2 or 3 weeks ago, on that stretch of road around that time of night.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
That is really sad - he was going SO fast and then maybe 3 minutes up the road total destruction :( - That is not my friends name though. Maybe time to pay a visit to my friend just to check on him anyways.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"I had thought it was a Dominican but my friend was certain it was a white guy."

No hay Dominicanos blancos?

wbr

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Dang, man. It's a request for financial support for the brand-new widow and her wee son. No shame in that.

Shame on him for not having life insurance. Not very responsible if he had a family. These days people run to gofundme.com for everything. You're right, there is no shame anymore.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
Everybody wants a gofundme.com these days. No accountability for nothing.

Hi,

If he happened to be in an accident that was caused from excessive / reckless speeding, and he put up a GoFundMe campaign asking for assistance, then I think I'd probably agree. I don't have much sympathy for some of the crazy speed demons around here.

However, from what I'm reading it is his family / friends seeking support. With all due respect to them, I'm sorry to hear about their loss.

I had heard about it through a friend that a fellow named 'Wes' died in and accident and the funeral was on the following Saturday.

So regarding this accident, do you know if he was at fault?

Seems to me many incidents around here have many parties to blame.

Since at this point, it seems that this is unrelated to the OP's friend, is there any word on your friend 'cjewell'?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
The guy was not wearing a helmut. We were going about 80 and he zoomed past us REALLY fast, passing us on the left. I didnt see the accident and passed the destruction like 5 mins after it happened - but when he passed us we were all like "****!!!!!"

My friends comment was that it was a gringo - my friend is Dominican. Im sure he knows that there are white Dominicans :/

I did go to my friends place and the watchy said hes back in the US so thats good news.*

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you are really on it and hit another object having a helmet is academic. The human body will only stand up to a certain level of *g force. Very high speed bike wrecks, involving g another vehicle ,nearly always will kill you. *Condolences to the family.*

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you are really on it and hit another object having a helmet is academic. The human body will only stand up to a certain level of *g force. Very high speed bike wrecks, involving g another vehicle ,nearly always will kill you. *Condolences to the family.*
And overriding one's headlights at night---when drunks are out---on a motorcycle is asking for serious trouble.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
Indeed.

I recall a person in the forums here recently impressed with thier 'high-beams'; so that they could 'see everyone else'.

I believe they even state that they knew it was 'illegal'.

Great, so those on-coming drivers can't see you...

I seen him, or another person similar tonight.

Blinded by the light...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Yesterday, Sosua, west bound towards Los Charimicos, me and my moto with a couple days worth of groceries. Clear to the front, line of oncoming traffic, check left mirror, good there, check right mirror, good there, shoulder check the blind spots all good, look back to the front, Jesus H. Christ! - a black Cadillac SUV tank in my lane heading straight for me, passing multiple cars and nowhere for him to pull back into his own lane. Hug the shoulder praying the concrete doesn't give way, give the guy the finger as he screams past. No horn no flashing headlights no attempt all to to make sure I knew he was about to forcefully introduce himself.

It doesn't take long here...taking your eyes off the road just long enough to change the radio station can very well be the last thing you ever do.

There is something seriously wrong with the gene pool here when it comes to driving. It often seems that with a choice between the wrong thing to do and the worst possible thing to do, drivers here will pick the worst every time. I think I'll stay home today. A near death experience everyday is more than I need to feel alive.*

I feel for the guy, helmet or not. However, he knew in the small primordial part of his animal brain, that riding a bike, at night, possibly too going too fast, on that road was a big risk. Probably something he had pulled off countless times before. That night, his reservoir of luck ran out and that's way more than it usually takes to become a cautionary tale for others.

RIP.

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am not in any way saying do not wear a helmet. Simply making the point that when you strike a solid object like a car, tree or concrete pole the helmet will only improve your *appearance at the funeral. It will not save your life. Wear all the gear all the time. Hot and sweaty beats dead and cold.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I left out the high speed aspect. Speeds like 80 and up exceed forces that helmets can absorb.*