Puerto Plata flights being rerouted to Punta Cana

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
From another site;
Just went to POP airport to pick up some ppl on the Montreal AC flight ...It was rerouted to Punta Cana and the next flight (last flight tonight) might also be. There are many rivers and debris on the road to cross so be careful !
This was Thursday Nov. 17.
eqthlc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
WOW, I wonder if they are going to bus all the people to POP or wait until tomorrow and see if they can fly them in. What a way to begin a vacation................

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
Thanks for this information. My husband is flying Toronto to Pop Sunday. Guess we had better call Westjet tomorrow to check. He doesn't want to end up in Punta Cana.

Feb 7, 2007
or Samana ... the newest airport in the country??

Transat 982 was indeed diverted to AZS.

PUJ - strange choice. I guess they can get better operational support in PUJ if they do not have any facilities/staff in AZS/SDQ/STI.

Airlines will always try to divert to the airport where they can get their own operational support.

Also pilots file flight plans with diversion airports listed before the flight takes off, and the diversion airports can be modified only in case of in flight emergency. So if the pilot filed PUJ with the AC dispatch before leaving YUL, well then PUJ it was.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
From another site;
Just went to POP airport to pick up some ppl on the Montreal AC flight ...It was rerouted to Punta Cana and the next flight (last flight tonight) might also be. There are many rivers and debris on the road to cross so be careful !
This was Thursday Nov. 17.
eqthlc.jpg

Didn't the airline tell passengers that this was the case before leaving Montreal?

Last edited by a moderator:

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
Westjet told me their flight from Toronto landed at pop yesterday mid afternoon. So no flooding at that time. They don't have a flight today.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I can only imagine that the baggage area must be completely below water. *It's at a lower level than the check-in area pictured above.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The rain today and the forecast for the next few days for Punta Cana (PUJ) isn't great either.

In Punta Cana we've had buckets thrown down so far today. Still drizzling as I write and really overcast. Wet yucky day overall.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007
What is the situation in the airport today? I have heard only 2 planes take off or leave today...oops...just now a 3rd. Anyone know?

Lindsey