Informaton needed to help.

BobtheCat

Aug 28, 2010
I am currently in the U.S. but I own property in Sosua. I want to know if the gofundme accounts I have seen are the best way to give help before I get down there in a couple weeks, or would the Red Cross be a better choice. Let me know what would be the best option for me to help. Thanks

Aug 21, 2007
You make the choice. As long as you contribute, that's what counts. So many need help and there are several trustworthy groups currently running campaigns. Do you know any of these individuals? I always recommend giving to someone you know or a trusted organization, rather than a stranger. Thanks for having a big heart. I am sure wherever you choose to contribute, it will be much appreciated.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I am currently in the U.S. but I own property in Sosua. I want to know if the gofundme accounts I have seen are the best way to give help before I get down there in a couple weeks, or would the Red Cross be a better choice. Let me know what would be the best option for me to help. Thanks

The Red Cross and also Doctors without Borders have a pretty low administrative overhead; approx. 86-89 cents of every dollar donated goes to actual charitable work. I am just so jaded about $$ being siphoned off here and never getting to the people who need it.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

There are several projects being run by people who are actually there and doing the work instead of some international group that needs company jets and all those things. Try Project Esperanza in Munoz or Sosua Kids. Project esperanza has a web presence. I don't remember exactly what it is, but go past Metro gas just across from the entrance to Playa Dorada and follow the road around over the little bridge and come to a beautiful 2 story blue building and that is where Project Esperanza is located. She, Caitland, may not be there, but there is a shop where they sell Naitian made hand crafts. Every one along the road knows of Project, so stick your head out the window and ask if you feel lost.
Der Fish

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I like the group CrimeStoppers Dominican Republic. This is a closed group but you can join in. Leon Alter of ILASA International is doing a lot for the north coast. That includes bringing firetrucks, k9 unit, ambulances, rescue equipment from Canada and US to the north coast. He currently has 90,000lbs of new clothes being loaded on containers and headed to the DR. He is working with the Air Force base in Sosua.*

Aug 21, 2007
This is not in Sosua, but Jamao where I work. In that small town, many houses have been washed away.

Strength for the Journey, a legal Dominican Republic non-profit, has a learning center there. Our children have been affected, so for the next few weeks, all donations we receive will go towards relief for the flood victims. We will hold the money until we learn how the government is going to help. Then, we will work with the 2 priests of Jamao to help determine what the greatest unmet needs are. We cannot afford to duplicate services.

Secondly, I just received a message that someone (I don't know) from Canada will be sending down a suitcase of bedding, towels, and clothes to distribute.

There are many worthwhile groups providing support here on the North Coast. But if you wish to contribute financially to ours, you can click this link or, in the case donated items, send me a PM and we will make arrangements for them.

https://www.gofundme.com/Strength4Journey/

And thanks for being Strength for the Journey,
Lindsey

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is not in Sosua, but Jamao where I work. In that small town, many houses have been washed away.

Strength for the Journey, a legal Dominican Republic non-profit, has a learning center there. Our children have been affected, so for the next few weeks, all donations we receive will go towards relief for the flood victims. We will hold the money until we learn how the government is going to help. Then, we will work with the 2 priests of Jamao to help determine what the greatest unmet needs are. We cannot afford to duplicate services.

Secondly, I just received a message that someone (I don't know) from Canada will be sending down a suitcase of bedding, towels, and clothes to distribute.

There are many worthwhile groups providing support here on the North Coast. But if you wish to contribute financially to ours, you can click this link or, in the case donated items, send me a PM and we will make arrangements for them.

https://www.gofundme.com/Strength4Journey/

And thanks for being Strength for the Journey,
Lindsey

Personally, I think it's much better to contribute to the above gofundme and not Red Cross. *Lindsey knows who needs what, will get it there faster and you won't lose $$$$ for salaries and overhead. *

Just my two cents*

JackB17

Sep 29, 2012
There is a local group of expats working in the Sosua area distributing food, water and consumables and eventually hard goods.
They have a website explaining everything and you can donate through the website.

There are no adminstrative costs except for the donation processing through gofundme. You can also donate cash at Checkpoint and Checkpoint, Parada Tipica El Choco and The Finish line will accept hard goods-no cash at the latter two.
Website is www.spreadthelovedr.info

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
There are several projects being run by people who are actually there and doing the work instead of some international group that needs company jets and all those things. Try Project Esperanza in Munoz or Sosua Kids. Project esperanza has a web presence. I don't remember exactly what it is, but go past Metro gas just across from the entrance to Playa Dorada and follow the road around over the little bridge and come to a beautiful 2 story blue building and that is where Project Esperanza is located. She, Caitland, may not be there, but there is a shop where they sell Naitian made hand crafts. Every one along the road knows of Project, so stick your head out the window and ask if you feel lost.
Der Fish

Esperanza website:*http://www.esperanza.org/ The best part of donating here is the funds will help immediately and long term with micro loans to help restore mom& pop businesses lost to the floods.*

Last edited:

BobtheCat

Aug 28, 2010
Thank you very much for all of the information, as I said I will be down in a couple weeks or so, but until then I wanted to help. I am sending some money now and more as I can. If anyone needs anything help or information you can PM me. Thanks again and try to stay dry.

Aug 21, 2007
I just want to update those who contributed donations to Strength for the Journey to help flood victims. Strength for the Journey, has coordinated efforts with local governmental and church flood assistance in the Jamao area. First, we helped providing donated food to those who lost everything. Additionally, we collected $700 USD which has been set aside for flood assistance. Currently, the churches are giving out used clothes and basic toiletry items. The government is providing some assistance with rebuilding of houses. A few mattresses were handed out, but not enough for all the victims.

As I previously mentioned, we want the donations - your contributions- to be used for items most needed. We cannot afford to duplicate the efforts of government. I believe within a couple of weeks, government assistance will conclude. At that point, we will assess what needs were not met and we will use your donations to fill those needs, whether it be beds, sheets, school uniforms or shoes, whatever the greatest needs may be, as identified by our Jamao Advisory Group of community leaders.

Know that although the floods have receded, the victims are still in dire circumstances since all was lost.

Be sure, we will post photos and provide an accounting. We are a legal Dominican Republic foundation and will be accountable to you, to our other donors, and to the DR governing bodies.

Lindsey