North coast vs east coat?

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
O.k so I have been to both and prefer the North Coast. I will coming to DR for a 1 week vacation mid December. My question is for people that live on the North Coast currently. Due to the recent flooding and bad weather that has hit the North would I be better off going to the East?

When you live in Cold Canada and are looking to escape the cold the last thing you want is rain everyday. What would people in the know do if you were me? I will be coming down December 13 so that leaves about two weeks.

Is the weather clearing up yet?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Come to the north coast. I live here. Today was a glorious sunny day and a sign of things to come. Some people have suffered for certain in low lying areas, but you won't find issues in the tourist areas.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This rain is a once in 100 year event, well, maybe 50. N. Coast is great. Don't live near rivers or anywhere low you will be fine.*

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Def the North Coast - It is geographically protected from hurricanes.

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
If you look at the 14 day forecasts for both places there is not much difference, but generally Punta Cana gets less rain than the north coast. Hurricane season is over now. Both rain and sun this morning on the north coast. The last few days it has been sunnier in the morning with more cloud as the day goes on.

Go east if your only coming for a week, its been raining almost daily up in Sosua and Puerto Plata, The roads are taking a beating and if your only coming for a week and want sun go to Bavaro, I say this and I much rather be on the north coast all the time but my last 3 times down there in last month have been nothing but rain and more rain. I am going to Bavaro in mid december instead of Sosua and I have an apt in Sosua. I rather pay a hotel and get some sun for a few days.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Day six in Sosua and we have hit the beach 5 days. 9 more days to go and weather looks pretty good. If you are flying westjet they allow 1 humanitarian bag for fre per passenger. We brought a couple. They need clothing both child and adult. Soap sheets and just about anything you can think of. Several canadian contacts in and around Sosua will pick them up and see they go to the right places. Good luck.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
day six in sosua and we have hit the beach 5 days. 9 more days to go and weather looks pretty good. If you are flying westjet they allow 1 humanitarian bag for fre per passenger. We brought a couple. They need clothing both child and adult. Soap sheets and just about anything you can think of. Several canadian contacts in and around sosua will pick them up and see they go to the right places. Good luck.

what a good way to start your vacation....bring a humanitarian bag ...and the gods will shower you with sunshine