Mature Coco Palms

Chuck Riley.

Oct 23, 2011
Has anybody here had experience in planting mature coconut palms in their property?. My new place is close to water and has good vegetation and PH levels. Basically a good spot to plant coconut palms. I want to have a few. I guess three or four but don't have the twenty years on my hands to watch them grow. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They plant easily , I hear.
Small root ball

They'll need support until firmly rooted 

I saw it done recently.... trick is the hoist to drop them in place

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
saw it being done outside the new mall in santo domingo ...full grown trees planted and as mention by mr. Webster.. good support and they were dropped in my crane

Chuck Riley.

Oct 23, 2011
Thanks guys sounds promising. Need to start researching companies who do this and the $$$ involved. 

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They transplant very well, just make sure to buy from a large vivero that sells mature palm trees - they will know how to do it. They have to cut-off most of the fronds and it will take about a year or so to recover from the shock and start growing new fronds. Keep the area around the trunk clear and water frequently after transplanting. We transplanted one here at our condo a couple years ago. I'm from Florida - seen hundreds transplanted.

Chuck Riley.

Oct 23, 2011
They transplant very well, just make sure to buy from a large vivero that sells mature palm trees - they will know how to do it. They have to cut-off most of the fronds and it will take about a year or so to recover from the shock and start growing new fronds. Keep the area around the trunk clear and water frequently after transplanting. We transplanted one here at our condo a couple years ago. I'm from Florida - seen hundreds transplanted.

Many thanks Cavok. Excellent advice. Thank you 

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You should follow up very well once the mature palm has been transplanted.

The results of what happens when mature palms are transplanted and no effective follow up is done are quite numerous in Santo Domingo and Santiago. You will see plenty of dried palm trunks in public places, usually on medians and on triangle islands along major avenues. Most of those were planted as mature palms not too long ago and yep, they were planted by the government. The one's that actually survive are quite lucky.

If you ever wonder why when ever there is a median or an island on a major public road that is suppose to be lined with palm trees, yet they have so many gaps where its obvious a palm once stood; now you know. Not only do the mature palms dry up, but once they die they are not replaced with new mature palms (which given the lack of maintentance to ensure the trees survive, it makes sense to not replace them), so either the dead trunk remains until a storm knocks it down or the tree is already knocked down and the space where it once stood remains empty.

The next time a government road project is finished and includes transplanting mature palms, notice how many dry up in a matter of months, some even within a few days.

This is mostly a problem with mature palms transplanted by (or for) the government and on government/public property.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Adding,

the closer you dig up the palm, the faster it gets transplanted, the better chance you have.

But, as pointed out - after planting mtce is invaluable.

Water well before uprooting and water it in.

My grandfather said... plant in mud Billy... mud.
The wet soils adheres to the roots , hastening new root growth.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Royal palms grow much faster than Coco's and you don't have to worry about getting hit by falling nuts, much less mess to clean when you trim them as well... Just a thought..

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
My grandfather said... plant in mud Billy... mud.
The wet soils adheres to the roots , hastening new root growth.

YES, we called it Dirt Soup.

Also, prior to planting I'll fill up the hole a couple times with water and let it completely soak in. That way the surrounding soil doesn't soak in the moisture when you plant the ball, it's already moist.

And for the "dirt soup" I put in small twigs, even cut up green branches, vermiculite, leaves, cow poop, a fish or two. Kids always get a kick out of making the soup. All of that stuff helps retain moisture and feed the new ball.

Post an update when you plant.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Royal palms grow much faster than Coco's and you don't have to worry about getting hit by falling nuts, much less mess to clean when you trim them as well... Just a thought..

So what are you doing then in the DR if you're scared of falling nuts? Like going to Canada when you're afraid of the snow ;)
Plant coconut trees, have a coconut a day it will keep the doctor away. Don't worry about the cleaning, many Haitians around who will do that for a couple of 100 pesos, problem solved.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
So what are you doing then in the DR if you're scared of falling nuts? Like going to Canada when you're afraid of the snow ;)
Plant coconut trees, have a coconut a day it will keep the doctor away. Don't worry about the cleaning, many Haitians around who will do that for a couple of 100 pesos, problem solved.

I had a GeoTracker, one of the soft top type and parked it in its assigned spot under a coconut tree and one fine morning the window was ripped out, at first I wondered who would do such a thing, then I found the coconut inside that had done the dastardly deed!
Der Fish