On our way out...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
After 7 years and many doubts , renewed efforts, again doubts, we put our house for sale a few months ago. Today we reached an agreement and if all proceeds as planned in a few months we'll be moving back to Europe. I must say it hurts more than I thought now it's more definite. I can't say I like DR, but I will surely miss many friends, family, probably our house and I hope we can adapt fast enough to European lifestyle again.

I'll be also leaving behind a very comfortable (but increasingly insecure) job, i'll start preparing getting used to real working hours again. 

We'll be selling some stuff when closer to moving date, I'll put up an ad by then in the ad section. (Think dining table, fridge, laundrmachine etc.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
"Content makes poor men rich; discontentment makes rich men poor."

Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Succes en ik hoop dat je weer aan Nederland kan wennen, ik zou het niet kunnen na 25 jaar Caribbean.
Laat me aub weten als die positie die je verlaat opgevuld moet worden :)

Nogmaals veel succes!

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Congratulations... on a selfish level my life is harder in Florida but seeing my family prosper and enjoy everything that America stands for ie safety, security, economic prosperity etc reminds me that it was the right decision. All the best and God bless.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm beginning to think that buying a house here is like buying a big boat. You have two wonderful days. The day you buy it and the day you sell it!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Good luck, perhaps to help others let us know in a few sentences what attracted you to DR in the first place and what makes you leave now - those pluses became minuses or just new minuses you found that outweighed the pluses... !?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Good luck, perhaps to help others let us know in a few sentences what attracted you to DR in the first place and what makes you leave now - those pluses became minuses or just new minuses you found that outweighed the pluses... !?

In a nutshell: raising 4 children in DR is not easy. $$$

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I just met a young guy (don't even think he is 30 yet) from the Netherlands who was employed here doing research in the Neurology department of a top notch hospital. He was educated in the Netherlands, extremely smart and well rounded.

The Netherlands has a great education system; with 4 children, it makes sense.

Good luck !

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
So after 7 years I would be curious to know what gains/losses you made on your property?  I realize that this is private and personal information, but as a house owner myself I am merely inquisitive to know as I am sure many other property owners would be.  You can be as vague as you wish, or just tell me to mind my own business!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

We took a similar decision a while back. We're only four at the moment, but with two small ones we would not go back to any medical facility in the DR, among a few other things.

We've spoken about this countless times, and while I'm from Western Europe as well, a big part of me misses the DR continuously, and of course even a bigger part of my wife. We both agree that if it were just the two of us, due to our professional situation, we would not mind living in the DR, but at this point it's not the right place to be. Later on we want to purchase a small property and eventually move at least partially back to the DR, namely when the kids are older, or at least when they don't live with us anymore.

While I can understand different people live in different situations, having lived in the DR and outside of it with small children, and my wife having given birth also in both places, I would not recommend the DR as a place of permanent residency for expats with small children. Vacationing of course, longer trips as well, but permanent living no.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Good luck, makes a whole lot of sense to me.

There probably is an ongoing thread about a couple wanting to move to la rep dom with children and asking about education, housing, etc.. Seems many come but very few, if any, stick it out. I wonder if there are any expats on DR1 who raised their children in la rep dom and when the children got grown they remained in la rep dom.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Congratulations.
After 7 years and many doubts , renewed efforts, again doubts, we put our house for sale a few months ago. Today we reached an agreement and if all proceeds as planned in a few months we'll be moving back to Europe. I must say it hurts more than I thought now it's more definite. I can't say I like DR, but I will surely miss many friends, family, probably our house and I hope we can adapt fast enough to European lifestyle again.

I'll be also leaving behind a very comfortable (but increasingly insecure) job, i'll start preparing getting used to real working hours again. 

We'll be selling some stuff when closer to moving date, I'll put up an ad by then in the ad section. (Think dining table, fridge, laundrmachine etc.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
So after 7 years I would be curious to know what gains/losses you made on your property?  I realize that this is private and personal information, but as a house owner myself I am merely inquisitive to know as I am sure many other property owners would be.  You can be as vague as you wish, or just tell me to mind my own business!

I bought 5 years ago (rented first). In USD I didn't do so well, maybe 12% profit, but I also spend something like 8 % of purchase value in improvements. In pesos about 40% profit, and in euros I might do 40% as well if the euro stays below 1.1 USD. That's what counts for me, but for most the dollar counts I suppose and then I barely kept value. 

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Mauricio,

I have 4 as well (all grown up now). Raising 4 children ANYWHERE is not easy.......but I understand the additional challenges that must take here in the D.R. Mine were raised in the states.
Best of luck to you!