best place to exchange money?

repoman1

Apr 6, 2016
Im flying into PP airport and going to lifestyles resort. where would the best place to exchange money? guys outside airport? atm?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Anywhere other than at Lifestyles. The spread seems to be between 45 - 47 pesos to the US dollar. 

Get the best rate you can wherever you are. For the amount that you are probably looking to change, finding a place that will give you an extra peso is probably not worth spending $10 to find. 

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2009
Caribe Express offers the best rate in the island.  There's an office in the city Puerto Plata.

I agree that unless you're going to exchange a lot of money, it is not worth it going out of the way to exchange at Caribe Express for a few extra pesos that when converted to dollars are just cents.  Take the highest and closest rate you find to 47 pesos to USD.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
So inside customs there is an exchange, Stay away from them, rip off.
Your best bet is probably to hit the ATM unless your bank has high fees.
There's a short change money dude, I call him Ladrone, just outside customs who starts at 43 to 1. He'll go up to 45 or maybe 46.
Going out of the way to a change store depends on how much you are changing. If a lot then stop at the Western Union just as you enter PP on the right side. If you pass Alamo you've missed it. I you are just changing a few hundred then hit the ATM for 10,000 RD

Im flying into PP airport and going to lifestyles resort. where would the best place to exchange money? guys outside airport? atm?[/QUOTEs

repoman1

Apr 6, 2016
I've tried that is the past when I went to brazil. the exchange rate was not good at my bank. believe it or not the guys in the airport had the best rate. but that was brazil!!!

why not get your pesos at your bank at home ?...solves a lot of problems