First Extended Trip on the NC

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
For those of you have given living on the NC a shot - can you remember what the first couple years was like. First experiences? I thought I would start a thread to see if anyone wants to share.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
For those of you have given living on the NC a shot - can you remember what the first couple years was like. First experiences? I thought I would start a thread to see if anyone wants to share.

Well, I had lived here before, but 30+ years ago, so I found Sosua (ahem) much changed.

I was very fortunate in that when I came, I had a free place to live, household help, a small local salary, and American income. Since the only Spanish I knew was what you learn from riding the subway in New York City (which is not that useful in general conversation), I was very grateful to have native speakers to assist. One of the first things I did was to enroll in an intensive private language class, 3 times a week, an hour & a-half lesson, for six weeks. You didn't specify if language is an issue, but I would suggest acquiring some, if you don't have it. Although the North Coast is very international, it helps to be able to read labels at the supermarket and stuff like that.

If when you say "North Coast" you mean Sosua/Cabarete, your experience is going to be very different from Puerto Plata or Cabrera, for example. If you're coming from the First World, life in the 2.5 World takes some adjustments. For me, one of the biggest was the overwhelming noise levels. Another is the disregard for personal space, as in always inching up way too close on line. The relaxed (shall we say) attention to traffic rules, whether you're driving or a pedestrian also takes some practice.

Having said that, I think the North Coast is a wonderful place to live. We have great beaches, we are so lucky with food choices, access to medical care, and amazing places like the 27 Charcos and and Isabella and a small but decent airport. And when you add in the colorful local characters......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my first trip to DR, destination cabarete. i remember very well that i formed an opinion about this country as soon as my taxi from gregorio luperon airport reached la union: disgusting and filthy. rubbish everywhere, homeless dogs along the road, bloated corpses of said dogs, more trash, extremely loud music in the taxi and everywhere else, more dirt. i thought to myself that i will never be back in this hellhole again. yet here i am.

that trip was a never ending list of huge disappointments. i've never been to a tropical country before and i sort of imagined it differently. the reality turned out to be rather surprising. here we are in a perfect summery weather yet it gets dark at 7pm. unexpected. coconuts are supposed to taste kinda like bounty bars without chocolate, i saw it on TV. nope, fresh coconut meat is slimy and kinda sour. unexpected. there must be flowers everywhere, i saw it on a movie about hawaii. no flowers. pineapple is such a royal fruit, it must grow on trees. nope, grown right from the soil like common cabbage. they never mention that in adventure books, you know. i have not seen it in james bond movies.

yet here i am, in my home away from home.

ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
before we too into the dust descend;
dust into dust, and under dust to lie
sans wine, sans song, sans singer, and - sans end!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
You have to know --- and be VERY SURE --- why you are coming, for how long, and what for. If you have children, for example, or are planning to have them, the whole issue of schools is an important one. If you are (ahem) of a certain age and will require specific health care services: that's an issue.

You just have to know what you are getting into. Yes: on the one hand---it's paradise. But if you come with First World expectations: it ain't. Not to say it's not do-able. But you have to know what is and what isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
my first trip to DR, destination cabarete. i remember very well that i formed an opinion about this country

But you're still here. And settled. And content. And I think I know that your first impression has.....evolved?

First World to 2.5 World shock is real & I would never deny it.