Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Lamb Neck Fillet

    Has anyone come across lamb neck fillet on sale in DR and ideally in Santo Domingo.

    It makes the very best lamb kebabs and on a recent trip to one of the islands I had a Lamb Swarma kebab using lamb neck and it was so good.

    So I'm motivated to find some of this meat and some flat blade kebab skewers to barbeque.

    With a decent sized ethnic Lebanese and Turkish community in Santo Domingo (and perhaps ethnic Syrian/Palestinian on the basis of their club on the Malecon), I'm hopeful someone can give me some leads to find this meat and perhaps the flat skewers.

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post
    Has anyone come across lamb neck fillet on sale in DR and ideally in Santo Domingo.

    It makes the very best lamb kebabs and on a recent trip to one of the islands I had a Lamb Swarma kebab using lamb neck and it was so good.

    So I'm motivated to find some of this meat and some flat blade kebab skewers to barbeque.

    With a decent sized ethnic Lebanese and Turkish community in Santo Domingo (and perhaps ethnic Syrian/Palestinian on the basis of their club on the Malecon), I'm hopeful someone can give me some leads to find this meat and perhaps the flat skewers.
    I have currently approx 100 lambs.... but it's a bit complicated to just cut off the neck....

  3. Likes melphis liked this post
  4. #3
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbobo View Post
    I have currently approx 100 lambs.... but it's a bit complicated to just cut off the neck....
    I assume you don't keep them for the wool.

  5. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    IMO there is no such thing as lamb neck fillet. How would you garner enough meat from a neck to be able to call it a fillet?

  6. #5
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLOUT View Post
    IMO there is no such thing as lamb neck fillet. How would you garner enough meat from a neck to be able to call it a fillet?
    https://www.google.com.do/search?q=l...&bih=658#spf=1

    I have only ever found fresh lamb on sale in Nacional Bella Vista Mall, so it is probably a long shot finding this cut of meat in a country that doesn't farm too much lamb or mutton.

  7. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You can cut a nice fillet from the neck of a lamb, you need to have a good quality lamb though. Sheep or lambs that are grown in the DR generally are malnourished and underweight. My lambs weigh 50 kg. at 8 months of age. It's partly because I started out with pure bred sheep imported as embrios from Mexico....

  8. Likes ctrob liked this post
  9. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,088
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbobo View Post
    You can cut a nice fillet from the neck of a lamb, you need to have a good quality lamb though. Sheep or lambs that are grown in the DR generally are malnourished and underweight. My lambs weigh 50 kg. at 8 months of age. It's partly because I started out with pure bred sheep imported as embrios from Mexico....

    Do you raise anything else?

  10. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    694
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLOUT View Post
    IMO there is no such thing as lamb neck fillet. How would you garner enough meat from a neck to be able to call it a fillet?


    One of my favorite things to cook is a "neck roast" from a pig. I get them from the Carnicera Aleman opposite El Choco on the main highway in Sosua.  I slow smoke if for a few hours on the grill then finish it direct over the coals for about 20 minutes. Delicious!

    So in theory, you should be able to get the same type of meat from a lamb, albeit a smaller amount. And probably less fatty too? So propably just a direct heat griller? (Basted with a nice marinade though - or better yet, cooked on a small spit, like shish-kabob!) 

  11. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll think of you ju10 when I have my Ontario spring lamb next week.....
    Truly the best you will ever taste... NZ and Australia are weal seconds.

    Good lamb calls for a strong winter kill and green grass in the spring...IMO

    For skewers just get the bamboo sticks in ChinaTown.....

  12. #10
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I'll think of you ju10 when I have my Ontario spring lamb next week.....
    Truly the best you will ever taste... NZ and Australia are weal seconds.

    Good lamb calls for a strong winter kill and green grass in the spring...IMO

    For skewers just get the bamboo sticks in ChinaTown.....
    Welsh is the best.......herbs they eat.

    Flat kebab skewers as attachment photos is best for any kebab because they cook from inside too.

    https://www.google.com.do/search?q=f...&bih=658#spf=1

    A narrow machete?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •