CAT (TAC) scan - possible cancer or botched operation

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Question for the North Coasters....

I'm trying to find a reasonably priced CAT scan for a woman that has extreme pain in her abdomen after an operation to remove a tumor. We've been referred to a clinic in Santo Domingo, but seems fairly distant when Santiago is just over the small mountains.

We're looking for cancer, but it could also be a botched operation. We live in puerto plata.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Question for the North Coasters....

I'm trying to find a reasonably priced CAT scan for a woman that has extreme pain in her abdomen after an operation to remove a tumor. We've been referred to a clinic in Santo Domingo, but seems fairly distant when Santiago is just over the small mountains.

We're looking for cancer, but it could also be a botched operation. We live in puerto plata.

I'm not an expert on diagnostic imaging but I'm guessing an MRI would be better than a CAT scan because the imaging is more in depth. A friend of mine was treated in the fairly new private hospital in Santiago. She said they had full diagnostic capabilities there. She had private medical insurance and ended up there because of a mild heart attack. An MRI from a private diagnostic clinic in Canada can cost $2000 to $3000 dollars. 

Feb 7, 2007
The MRI cost in CEDIMAT is about 8,000 pesos or so ... according to the invoice/claim form I signed there which they sent to my insurance company (my out of pocket cost was 0).

Even if this is a contracted rate, self-payment rate could be 10,000 or so, probably not more.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
MRI in Centro Medico, Santiago runs at $9,000 pesos. The unit is located in the basement area.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CMC is Sos/Cab has a CT scan... I use it every 3-4 months.

Can't remember the price but 8,000 sounds right...
Insurance pays for me... I pay 2,000 or so.

Saturdays are light traffic there in the AM

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For those of you interested in the difference between MRI and CT scans:

Q. What is the difference between a CT and a MRI?
Written By:
Gabriele Pedicelli, M.D.
by Gabriele Pedicelli, M.D.
A: Many patients ask about the differences between a CT (Computed Tomography) scan and an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scan: “Which is better?” or, “Should I have one over the other?” While the machines look similar, what occurs is quite different.

A CT scanner sends X-ray beams through the body as it moves through an arc taking many pictures. A CT scan sees different levels of density and tissues inside a solid organ, and can provide detailed information about the body, including the head (brain and its vessels, eyes, inner ear, and sinuses), chest (heart and lungs), skeletal system (neck, shoulders and spine), pelvis and hips, reproductive systems, bladder and gastrointestinal tract.

Advances in CT scanning include increased patient comfort, faster scanning times and higher resolution images. As scans become quicker, X-ray exposure has decreased, providing better images at lower doses. The average CT scan today exposes patients to less radiation than what airline passengers receive on long flights. That said, anyone having a CT scan should talk to their doctor about the risks from radiation exposure versus the benefits of early diagnosis.

Unlike CT scans, which use X-rays, MRI scans use powerful magnetic fields and radio frequency pulses to produce detailed pictures of organs, soft tissues, bone and other internal body structures. Differences between normal and abnormal tissue is often clearer on an MRI image than a CT. And while there is no radiation involved in an MRI scan, it can be a noisy exam and takes longer than a CT. A specially trained radiologist can interpret either scan, helping to achieve a quick and accurate diagnosis.

https://www.woosterhospital.org/article/[term-raw]/q-what-difference-between-ct-and-mri