PGA new venue in POP

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Only one local made the cut, Willie Pumarol. Not sure what course improvements (bunkers, greens,fairways) have been made to host a PGA LA Tournament , but the 10 top scores are pretty impressive for P. D.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
.....I remember many years ago.. in jamaica, they had about the same thing, very exciting at the time, had to be about 1988. I think somewhere near runaway bay. many big time players, tv cameras, helicopters.. many of the players staying at a resort called half moon caye, so you couldnt get near them.....If this is anything like that one I will be in POP.......Doc.....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
.....I remember many years ago.. in jamaica, they had about the same thing, very exciting at the time, had to be about 1988. I think somewhere near runaway bay. many big time players, tv cameras, helicopters.. many of the players staying at a resort called half moon caye, so you couldnt get near them.....If this is anything like that one I will be in POP.......Doc.....

DOC, you are right about most of what you say. the tournament was held at the Half Moon course, which is closer to Montego Bay tan it is to Runaway Bay. i think Mazda had something to do with the sponsorship.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
DOC, you are right about most of what you say. the tournament was held at the Half Moon course, which is closer to Montego Bay tan it is to Runaway Bay. i think Mazda had something to do with the sponsorship.
... very good.... it was mazda, that was the sponsor....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
An American golfer that goes to Ohio State has a 9 stroke lead at 19 under going into tomorrow.
Tee-K Kelly.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Videos shows nothing much has changed with the condition of PD with it being dry, terrible bunkers, and patches of grass on the greens makes the leading score of -19 absolutely amazing.

http://www.pgatour.com/la/en.html

With little doubt ,the worst course in the DR but I dare say that FEDOGOLF has to move this event around the country and some clubs do not want to stage the event as they would lose out on their green fee revenues

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
I was there Friday and Saturday. Not many people watching on Friday but more on Saturday. Course is in great condition. They have done a lot of work there, especially on the greens. They are hard and fast. They are making a lot of birdies but also some holes are proving difficult especially with the wind. I play there a lot and is definitely a lot better, just hope they keep the condition as good. They made one par 5 into a par for so is a par 71. The other par 5's are playing short fir most of these guys.