Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default quality of general merchandise here.

Even though I have lived here a while I am still amazed at the terrible quality of general merchandise. I am careful but from time to time I still get taken.
    I have a problem with the doors slamming in the afternoon breeze. We just replaced them all and when the breeze really get going it is like m80s going off not to mention the damage to the door and jamb. I found a permanent solution in the form of rubbber grommets but before I put them in I bought some doorstops.
    I did try and complain to the Dominican family members that come and go but of course that never worked.
    At the local hardware store I found rubber door stops that were expensive and in a package so I could not really see what I was buying. When I opened the package the stops were hollow, soft plastic and practically useless. They would not keep the doors from slamming. Its not easy to design and market a door stop that does not stop doors.
    No such thing as a return of anything here. Not the first time and its not the money, its the being cheated that I dislike.
    Anytime I make a repair or install something I take pride in doing it so it never has to be done again. The Dominicans seem inured to doing the same fix over and over and over.
    My car broke down the other day and left us stranded on the highway. After getting to a local repair shop we found out it was a crack in the thermostat housing that had been repaired by our kid using epoxy. You just cannot make a good repair of thermostat housing using glue. It will come back and it did. He saved a few bucks but screwed us twice. One time for the fix and again for not telling me.
    Anyone want to share a horror story about being victimized by the cheap shoddy merchandise and workmanship here. Do not get me wrong. I love it here but fixing the same damn thing over and over gets to me. I have given up on the refrigerator and gotten used to repairing it constantly. Nothing like a good ranting complaint to make a person feel better.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheap Chinese junk (products) abound. I dealt with the exact same problem while
    living in Cambodia. Amazon used to be a nice way to skirt this but they too have
    fallin vicitim to this global problem. Buying online direct from the manufacture seems
    to be the only real solution now a days.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    Cheap Chinese junk (products) abound. I dealt with the exact same problem while
    living in Cambodia. Amazon used to be a nice way to skirt this but they too have
    fallin vicitim to this global problem. Buying online direct from the manufacthure seems
    to be the only real solution now a days.
    If you are buying inside the US the return policy can save you. I try and use the reviews and only buy items that have a good review history. I thought I was a careful shopper until the door stop got me. If you look at the local hardware stores most everything is China junk. Lately I have gotten screwed with toilet shut off valves. Seems that every time I turn the valve off it leaks when I turn it back on. I do try and exercise the valves. I would not mind if I could buy better quality but I cannot find it. Living here means I spend an inordinate amount of time keeping the lights on, internet working, water running and appliances running. I have given up on microwaves as I cannot keep family members from putting metal in the oven. All stuff I take for granted in the US. I have gotten used to it but the time wasted never comes back.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    If you are buying inside the US the return policy can save you. I try and use the reviews and only buy items that have a good review history. I thought I was a careful shopper until the door stop got me. If you look at the local hardware stores most everything is China junk. Lately I have gotten screwed with toilet shut off valves. Seems that every time I turn the valve off it leaks when I turn it back on. I do try and exercise the valves. I would not mind if I could buy better quality but I cannot find it. Living here means I spend an inordinate amount of time keeping the lights on, internet working, water running and appliances running. I have given up on microwaves as I cannot keep family members from putting metal in the oven. All stuff I take for granted in the US. I have gotten used to it but the time wasted never comes back.
    Metal. In the microwave???

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What about clothes, we are here for almost 8 years now and we have pajamas for the children that are being washed all the time , still good, bought over 9 years ago in a cheap store in the Netherlands. 

All children clothes bought at Hema in the Netherlands  (also reasonably cheap) are still fine. 

The expensive clothes we buy here are getting wide or break or get holes after a few months. 

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy clothes here, NEVER.

7. Likes CristoRey, Expat-in-Cabarete liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    A pop up side the noggin with the flat side of a butcher's knife may work wonders.

9. Likes nigrarosa liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We have never bought clothes nor shoes here. 

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    What about clothes, we are here for almost 8 years now and we have pajamas for the children that are being washed all the time , still good, bought over 9 years ago in a cheap store in the Netherlands. 

All children clothes bought at Hema in the Netherlands  (also reasonably cheap) are still fine. 

The expensive clothes we buy here are getting wide or break or get holes after a few months. 
    Lang leve de Hema!

12. Likes Fulano2, Mauricio liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ooh La La, USN View Post
    Metal. In the microwave???

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk
    yep, knives, forks, spoons, metal glasses, you name it . I quit buying microwaves. These ovens last forever in the US. I think that the low voltage helps kills them off but the metal is terrible for them also. I really like them because they heat food without heating up the kitchen. My Dominican family members are really resistant to any kind of behavior changes. We have three dogs and a metal gate along with a metal walk through door. One would think it natural to close them so the dogs do not wander out in the street. Nope. I like the dogs better than some of the relatives so I put up a fight on this one. If I complain loudly for a time they slowly go along. I have a new tactic. I wait until they have walked in the gate, down the walkway and into the house before I tell them to go back and close the gate. Having to go all the way back seems to speed up the learning process but only a little. Makes me laugh a bit though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast