Put the top back on darn it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
OK another pet peave of mine, right after no lights on motos, is why in the heck don't Dominicans put the top back on things.
Examples toothpaste, shampoo bottles, even flip tops, dishwashing detergent, the Coca Cola (sometimes they do but just loosely).
The lid on the Sosua butter or the Tabasco, (which really surprises me cause I'm the only one in the house that uses it so who took the top off again? )
My shaving cream cap when she shaves her lady parts. Turn the lid on the Gold Bond powder, make sure the refrigerator is fully closed and turn the faucet all the way off. If there's left over pizza in the pizza box in the fridge please close the lid after taking a piece. Shake the toilet handle if it's running. Please latch the gate cause the dogs get into the garage.
I could go on and this same thing happened years ago with my lady in Puerto Rico so maybe it's a Caribbean thing?

Anyone have any other examples ?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Related: I bought a pressure cleaner for the school, 14000 pesos, told the cleaning ladies: keep it whole, please don't break it, etc., I had bought a hose connection that you can take off easily by pulling it backwards m, but, my mistake I only showed them once how to take the hose off. NEXT day, one of the ladies comes to me: don Mauricio (I hate it when they call me that but oh well), se rompió esa pieza.

They managed in only one day to break the male hose connector, by trying to remove the hose from the machine without pulling the female connector backwards. 

I told my wife later that now I know why my parents in law always buy the cheapest option, the employees will break it anyway.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Related: I bought a pressure cleaner for the school, 14000 pesos, told the cleaning ladies: keep it whole, please don't break it, etc., I had bought a hose connection that you can take off easily by pulling it backwards m, but, my mistake I only showed them once how to take the hose off. NEXT day, one of the ladies comes to me: don Mauricio (I hate it when they call me that but oh well), se rompió esa pieza.

They managed in only one day to break the male hose connector, by trying to remove the hose from the machine without pulling the female connector backwards. 

I told my wife later that now I know why my parents in law always buy the cheapest option, the employees will break it anyway.
Well if they don't break it they lose it anyway, or loan it to Tio, who never returns it cause he lost, sold it or he broke it or just decided once he touched it he owns it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
OK another pet peave of mine, right after no lights on motos, is why in the heck don't Dominicans put the top back on things.
Examples toothpaste, shampoo bottles, even flip tops, dishwashing detergent, the Coca Cola (sometimes they do but just loosely).
The lid on the Sosua butter or the Tabasco, (which really surprises me cause I'm the only one in the house that uses it so who took the top off again? )
My shaving cream cap when she shaves her lady parts. Turn the lid on the Gold Bond powder, make sure the refrigerator is fully closed and turn the faucet all the way off. If there's left over pizza in the pizza box in the fridge please close the lid after taking a piece. Shake the toilet handle if it's running. Please latch the gate cause the dogs get into the garage.
I could go on and this same thing happened years ago with my lady in Puerto Rico so maybe it's a Caribbean thing?

Anyone have any other examples ?

get used to it. i live in an apartment building with three other renters. there is a main security steel gate, and each person has a key. when i moved in, there was a lady from Latvia, and two Germans. on not one occasion in a year and a half was the security gate ever left open. well, the Germans and the Latvian lady are long gone, and their places have been taken by Dominicans. the gate is never closed these days. the management has even written letters to each tenant about it, to no avail. until i find a suitable apartment to move to, i just check the gate at night, and lock it when it is open. no point losing sleep and driving up your blood pressure. you wont fix it.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I have one to add, my Dominican Wife never ever ever throws anything away when it's used up. I'm forever finding empty bottles of shampoo, detergent, creams, anything in a bottle, can or box. I ask her why she doesn't throw things away when their empty and she just looks at me with a blank stare and says something like, maybe there's a little more in there to use. Amazing!! but gotta love the thriftiness....

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
My ex would clean the house top to bottom every single day religiously,a real neat freak. But the refrigerator,nope. There would be half used fruits or vegetables in there for weeks unwrapped just shriveling up and she would never clean the fridge out,but would not go to bed without washing every sparkling clean floor in the house every single day,made no sense.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My ex would clean the house top to bottom every single day religiously,a real neat freak. But the refrigerator,nope. There would be half used fruits or vegetables in there for weeks unwrapped just shriveling up and she would never clean the fridge out,but would not go to bed without washing every sparkling clean floor in the house every single day,made no sense.

A neat freak always has something in disarray.

Ex. The sock drawer!!!! lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

The uncovered fruits and veggies in the fridge are a personal peeve of mine, still trying to break Mr.AE of that after all these decades. I actually found a cut up papaya in a tupperware yesterday, so maybe I'm making progress. It's an ongoing problem with our long time maid in DR. She humors me I think. She's sure I'm nuts. I mean, doesn't everybody stick an open can of tomato paste, uncovered, in the fridge???

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I have one to add, my Dominican Wife never ever ever throws anything away when it's used up. I'm forever finding empty bottles of shampoo, detergent, creams, anything in a bottle, can or box. I ask her why she doesn't throw things away when their empty and she just looks at me with a blank stare and says something like, maybe there's a little more in there to use. Amazing!! but gotta love the thriftiness....

Welcome to the club. Drives me nuts. The best part is when my hubby asks me why I didn't buy more cloro if the bottle is empty (the bottle is on the washing machine as always and I hate the smell so I never touch it...he knows that).

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I mean, doesn't everybody stick an open can of tomato paste, uncovered, in the fridge???

I do the cooking everyday (hobby, not paid :)) and my wife says I am worse than dominicans.
Indeed, open cans, half tomatoes where you should put the butter. Etc. I will have my dna tested.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Even worse - leftovers in the fridge with the spoon inside.:angry: And perversely - empty plastic storage containers are always sealed tight, even though I prefer to leave them open.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have gotten to where I expect leaving stuff out, open, broken and unfinished as the new normal. They did get me the other day. We were invited to a wedding. The whole famdamily. We all get dressed up. Takes forever and its a hot day. I am waiting in the car with the a/c going so we are all comfortable. They all pile in and I back out into the street asking "Ok, where are we going"? No one had any idea. Tried calling but naturally since we were very late everyone was inside the church and the phones were off.
Most of the craziness I am used to but they got me good on this one.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I bought a pressure washer and blew three hoses... the connection was good, but the hoses are crap. needs clamps to reinforce.
Don't try to teach ''put the tops back on''....... I think that goes really deep ! Really deep!

Mi espossa will throw away empty containers only when I replace them with new (full) ones... and don't try to change the brands. Deep Man Deep!
Bit of a hoot! Eh!

Russell

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have gotten to where I expect leaving stuff out, open, broken and unfinished as the new normal. They did get me the other day. We were invited to a wedding. The whole famdamily. We all get dressed up. Takes forever and its a hot day. I am waiting in the car with the a/c going so we are all comfortable. They all pile in and I back out into the street asking "Ok, where are we going"? No one had any idea. Tried calling but naturally since we were very late everyone was inside the church and the phones were off.
Most of the craziness I am used to but they got me good on this one.

Well, including yourself you didn't know where it was......