High Speed Roller Bladers coming down the hill into Sosua Abajo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While heading to POP airport yesterday, there were at least 4 Rollerbladers going at high speed from the direction of the airport down the hill into Sosua Abajo. One was hanging on the the back of a truck, two were being towed by motorbikes and one was just coming down the hill on his own like he was imitating a scene of a recent Vin Diesel movie (where they used skateboards). The one being towed by the truck peaked around the truck and missed my by less than one foot.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[video=youtube;OdWHANnuj_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdWHANnuj_c[/video]

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
near misses keep us on our toes and keep our whole reflex mechanism in tip top shape!

ya gotta admit, there should be a lot more accidents, especially between Cabarete and Sosua

that drive is always full of crazies

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
near misses keep us on our toes and keep our whole reflex mechanism in tip top shape!

ya gotta admit, there should be a lot more accidents, especially between Cabarete and Sosua

that drive is always full of crazies

If the rollerblader had peaked out just another foot more from beyond the back of the truck he was holding on to as I went by him, he would have splatted against my front fender. Nobody's reaction would have prevented that from happening.

I was just a short distance away from having a very fun experience...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Were they wearing helmets?

Why would they wear helmets - they don't when on a scooter. But I don't thing roller blades or skate boards will catch on. You can't put stadium LED light bars on them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as children in Canada when the roads froze over, we always hooked onto the bus bumper to slide along behind going to school

banged my head when the driver hit the brakes many times

just a couple of blocks.....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Windy, what a great opening scene! Climbing a transmission tower at La Cumbre, then jumping off sans parachute but with skis and pole, copping a skateboarding along the way, and blasting to the salt mine at Las Salinas...in about 2 minutes.

If I didn't see it in a movie I wouldn't have thought such a feat was possible.

Amazing! :cheeky:

[video=youtube;vh9ehX4iU_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh9ehX4iU_k[/video]

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, what a great opening scene! Climbing a transmission tower at La Cumbre, then jumping off sans parachute but with skis and pole, copping a skateboarding along the way, and blasting to the salt mine at Las Salinas...in about 2 minutes.

If I didn't see it in a movie I wouldn't have thought such a feat was possible.

Amazing! :cheeky:

[video=youtube;vh9ehX4iU_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh9ehX4iU_k[/video]

I like him and his movies.

It would have made more sense if it was about a baseball game...

As for the rollerbladers, we will be reading soon about at least one dead one.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
While heading to POP airport yesterday, there were at least 4 Rollerbladers going at high speed from the direction of the airport down the hill into Sosua Abajo. One was hanging on the the back of a truck, two were being towed by motorbikes and one was just coming down the hill on his own like he was imitating a scene of a recent Vin Diesel movie (where they used skateboards). The one being towed by the truck peaked around the truck and missed my by less than one foot.

Rollerblades must have been invented by a chiropractor working with an orthopedic surgeon.
World record for speed is 130 mph towed by a motorcycle and he wore no safety gear. Life on the razors edge.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Why would they wear helmets - they don't when on a scooter. But I don't thing roller blades or skate boards will catch on. You can't put stadium LED light bars on them.
I hope they do catch-on. This country needs more physically active kids and adults. I roller blade every day around the CZ and the malecón; saves me gym membership fees.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Rollerblades must have been invented by a chiropractor working with an orthopedic surgeon.
World record for speed is 130 mph towed by a motorcycle and he wore no safety gear. Life on the razors edge.

As I approached 100mph....I'd be squeezing some oil on those wheels !!!

The squeeky wheel gets the.......

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I hope they do catch-on. This country needs more physically active kids and adults. I roller blade every day around the CZ and the malecón; saves me gym membership fees.

That's not the road into Sosua, those kids will soon be heading in 2dlight, if you know what I mean.

What is the CZ ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

No argument about using roller blades in a location like that along the malecon.

It gets dicey when they are being towed behind motorbikes weaving through traffic in Sosua Abajo. That is not "exercise" but rather an exercise in stupidity.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Its not uncommon to see kids hanging on
to the back of cars / trucks roller blading
here in the center of Santiago flying down Del Sol.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

Safe to say that if there were an accident, it would be your fault.