tropical pool house/hut - cost to build

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
I want to build a tropical pool house/hut next to my pool

it will have electricity and plumbing for a shower, toilet, kitchen
4metres*6metres 24 mtr2
I need a grass/leaf roof...I cant remember what you call this type of roof
The wood posts flooring /workmanship should be of excellent quality and well able to withstand
sun sea and sand
I want to get a approximate guestimate of what I should expect to pay per mtr2 or in total

Do not include fixtures in your opinion as ill add them later. Im only curious about the cost to construct the hut including all plumbing and electricity

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It will cost whatever your chosen builder says it will cost + 20%. You are going about this backwards. "We" can give you an idea of what we think would be a fair price but that would only be an outside estimate. We cannot see the location you have chosen for this structure, we do not know exactly what you would like the finished structure to look like, how much electrical wiring will be needed or for plumbing pipes. A toilet will require a tie-in to your waste disposal system etc.

Your best bet is to ask for recommendations to help locate contractors in your area that do this type of work and then arrange for the builder to come out and tell you how much they want to do the job. Any dollar number I would offer is pretty much meaningless as I'm not the one doing the work and my tastes/choices would probably differ significantly from what you would like to have done.

So, find a few builders, have them out to see the scope of the job and use their quoted pricing as the basis to answer the general question of how much this project will cost you. You will have a really tough time finding someone to do the work and charge you a price reflective of a group consensus from this forum.

Remember to factor in the ongoing maintenance costs to keep insects at bay in a wooden structure and to replace the roof every two or three years. As the cane dries in the sun it becomes brittle and pieces will blow off in the wind. Try to locate this structure downwind of the pool so that you don't have to constantly remove cane leaves from the water.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Rog - Another thing that can help is to sit down and make a rough drawing of what you want. It doesn't have to be pretty. And put together a "Scope of Work" detailing what you want, type of roof, type of flooring, who's buying what, who's responsible for what. Even minor stuff like type of finish on the concrete. Anything not listed can be used later to bang you for an upcharge.

That detail and communication up front can save a lot of conversations (arguments) when you're half way thru the project.

What part of the island you on?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Instead of cana roof, maybe consider one of the newer metal roofs that mimic terra-cotta Spanish roof tiles. We used them on an outdoor extension and they look nice too. I think they were called alu-teja. 

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Instead of cana roof, maybe consider one of the newer metal roofs that mimic terra-cotta Spanish roof tiles. We used them on an outdoor extension and they look nice too. I think they were called alu-teja. 

this look like it? These are sheets.

Hows the noise level?

1652-3231333.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
this look like it? These are sheets.

Hows the noise level?

1652-3231333.jpg

That’s them.  Noise level?  Ours is outdoors, rear of house, so not an issue either way.  I love the sound of rain on it.  The reason we used it is because the room is 35’ x 20’, and Mr AE didn’t trust a cement roof over that large a span. (We built it not long after Haiti quake). 

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
More details would be nice.
Because if its a "real" kitchen and a "real" bathroom, you might want to think in terms of "small" house : ie, cement floors ( and then wood finishings on top of that ), foundations, rebar columns, a "real" roof and walls too ( as in zombie proof AND ladrone proof ),  and also solid doors, real windows,  etal bars, etc..........
We did a thing like that years ago, with kitchen, bathroom, wash-room/laundry and a room for the gasbottles (  no sane person wants them near their "real "  house. ). Perhaps 9-11 x 4-5 meters. Plumbing and electricity.  
Well it wasnt cheap.

Now, of its a cheapo drink bar + pool toilet/shower combo, its another thing alltogother.
I did a kiosk in my conuco  4×4 concrete floor +  foundations,  4 concrete rebar pillars, wood structure for roof + metal zinc sheets.
And I still had change out of 1k$. 
I then opted for no finishing touches, and just grew plants up the columns and the wooden roofstrucutre, for a tropical look, and cooler tempartures

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
It will cost whatever your chosen builder says it will cost + 20%. You are going about this backwards. "We" can give you an idea of what we think would be a fair price but that would only be an outside estimate. We cannot see the location you have chosen for this structure, we do not know exactly what you would like the finished structure to look like, how much electrical wiring will be needed or for plumbing pipes. A toilet will require a tie-in to your waste disposal system etc.

Your best bet is to ask for recommendations to help locate contractors in your area that do this type of work and then arrange for the builder to come out and tell you how much they want to do the job. Any dollar number I would offer is pretty much meaningless as I'm not the one doing the work and my tastes/choices would probably differ significantly from what you would like to have done.

So, find a few builders, have them out to see the scope of the job and use their quoted pricing as the basis to answer the general question of how much this project will cost you. You will have a really tough time finding someone to do the work and charge you a price reflective of a group consensus from this forum.

Remember to factor in the ongoing maintenance costs to keep insects at bay in a wooden structure and to replace the roof every two or three years. As the cane dries in the sun it becomes brittle and pieces will blow off in the wind. Try to locate this structure downwind of the pool so that you don't have to constantly remove cane leaves from the water.

Thank you, very informative