Check your air bag

Jan 9, 2004
The premise of the article is accurate but that is where it ends.

There are/were far more than 1.3 million vehicles in the US at risk and Ford is NOT the most affected.

The airbag problem has been ongoing now for several years......globally to the tune of 34 million vehicles.

And yes they pose a severe risk of death under the right circumstances....so much so that if you purchase one of these cars affected...you are in essence buying a lottery ticket for your own demise.

But as much publicity as this has garnered worldwide and as much as the manufacturers race to do recall fixes...there are still millions of these vehicles out there unfixed.

As I follow the car industry fairly closely and represent clients in both the DR and the US and have access to multiple automotive databases, I am often asked my opinion about various makes/models and the quality thereof.

Whenever someone calls me after having found a vehicle and asking my opinion about that particular year, make, model etc., my first response is.....check to see if there is an open recall for the airbag on that particular car. If there is, my advice is to find another vehicle period............no ands, ifs, or buts......

Those exploding airbags are still killing people to this day..............and many of those vehicles are now in the DR.

Buyer Beware.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
As far as I know, only 2007-2016 Jeep Wranglers were affected.....and not all of them...only those with airbags from a particular manufacturer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Lots of Chrysler (the co.) vehicles affected.....2009–2010 Chrysler 300, 2008–2010 Dodge Charger, 2009–2011 Dodge Dakota, 2005–2010 Dodge Magnum , 2009 Ram 2500 and 3500, 2009–2010 Ram 4500 and 5500 etc

Jan 9, 2004
Lots of Chrysler (the co.) vehicles affected.....2009–2010 Chrysler 300, 2008–2010 Dodge Charger, 2009–2011 Dodge Dakota, 2005–2010 Dodge Magnum , 2009 Ram 2500 and 3500, 2009–2010 Ram 4500 and 5500 etc

Yes, lots of Chrysler products.....more models than even on your list.....but the question posed concerned Jeep, a division of Chrysler.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recall-spotlight/takata-air-bags

And that list above from November 2017 has since been further expanded.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Last edited:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
And yes they pose a severe risk of death under the right circumstances....so much so that if you purchase one of these cars affected...you are in essence buying a lottery ticket for your own demise.

So...........what are the "right circumstances"? Is it better to just get rid of them on affected vehicles? Both cars we own are on the lists provided. :(

Jan 9, 2004

So...........what are the "right circumstances"? Is it better to just get rid of them on affected vehicles? Both cars we own are on the lists provided. :(

The obvious “right” circumstance would be a front end collision that could deploy the airbags.

Beyond that, testing has shown that high temperatures, moisture and age are also circumstances that would/could cause the bags to inflate and that could cause serious injury or death.

It has become so serious, that Ford recommended not driving 2006 Ford Ranger pickups until the airbags were replaced. Further, the automobile manufacturers have contacted automobile salvage companies and have bought every intact airbag in their inventories.

So what to do.

If you do not already own one of these vehicles, you should not buy any of those on the list without going to the website I posted above and put in your VIN number to see if a) the vehicle is subject to recall; and b) if the vehicle has been repaired.....many have, but millions more have not.

If you do already own one on the list, put in the VIN to see if you are actually affected. If so, you should call your dealer immediately. Unfortunately, if you are in the DR, you are likely out of luck. 

Your options then are to continue to drive the vehicle, sell it, or try to contact the manufacturer to see if they will authorize a repair outside the country.

Note that like a lottery ticket, not everyone will be affected....but that decision to continue to operate any of those vehicles is yours alone.....and there are thousands of vehicles currently being driven and offered for sale in the DR with these airbags.

The manufacturer, Takata, faced with billions in damages from fines and wrongful death lawsuits filed Bankruptcy.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Jan 9, 2004
Updated list with more airbag recalls;

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...more-models-takata-air-bag-recall/1044076001/

Unfortunately, because there are so many airbag recalls, pulling those vehicles affected out of the stream of commerce is not practical. So consumers looking to purchase need to be pro-active in taking the VIN number and entering it to see if the vehicle is subject to the recall.

Anyone currently searching for a used vehicle needs to begin with this step.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Updated list with more airbag recalls;

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...more-models-takata-air-bag-recall/1044076001/

Unfortunately, because there are so many airbag recalls, pulling those vehicles affected out of the stream of commerce is not practical. So consumers looking to purchase need to be pro-active in taking the VIN number and entering it to see if the vehicle is subject to the recall.

Anyone currently searching for a used vehicle needs to begin with this step.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Thank you for sharing your understanding of the automobile industry as it currently exists. Specifically, in regards to airbags and recalls. It has proven to be decidedly insightful.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought I told you that as we were flying up to Jamaca de Dios in the chopper.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 
:cheeky:

I was distracted the light reflected off your wife's diamond-encrusted cell phone case...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Does checking your air bag include the wife blabbing in the seat next to you. - Men Only need reply.