Best driving route from POP to Punta Cana

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I don't think it would be faster to use the "new highway" (I still call it that as well but it must be 6 or 7 years old now). I think the fastest route would still be the "old" route. Construction on the POP - Navarette road will however play a factor. Once approaching Santiago you can use the bypass (100RD) which saves time and if you know the capitol at all you can use the portion of the by pass complete when entering S.D. which dumps you off in Villa Mella and then use Charles de gaulle connecting to Las Americas highway and you are on your way.
The new highway is great however the drive from POP to reach it just past Nagua, although scenic is not exactly a highway.

Good luck and enjoy!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
For sure the new highway is the way to go, you don't have to deal with Santo Domingo.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Road stress

The new highway may be the better option.

The old route is heavily traveled over most portions, offers increased transit risks ranging from foolhardy drivers, more junkers, and poor road maintenance conditions in some areas. The advantage is the offering of more places to stop, rest, buy, and eat.

The new highway offers better road safety, less traffic- few heavy trucks and gua guas, less incidents of crazy drivers, less busy for the eyes to allow better road focus, and a better road. There are less options for convenience stops of any type. There are comfort and fuel facilities near the northern end of the toll road, a Texaco and restaurant about midway, and then all the Las Americas comforts at the southern end. Downside is the tolls the paying for less road stress.

Regards,

PJT

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not withstanding the actual distance, cost and any potential time savings and of course the sometimes adventurous drive from Gaspar Hernadez to Nagua on Hwy 5, that's the way to go just to avoid the Duarte Hwy (and its painful monotony) and everything to do with Santo Domingo and that stretch of Hwy between SD and where Hwy 2 (the new toll road) connects.

If you haven't driven this route before, it's certainly worth the trip just for the change.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No question about it. Take the Nagua-Samana highway-Las Americas route. Take special care along the Samana highway - it is very dangerous to overtake and Amet stops people for speeding.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No question about it. Take the Nagua-Samana highway-Las Americas route. Take special care along the Samana highway - it is very dangerous to overtake and Amet stops people for speeding.

pray to Jesus your car doesn't break down because it could be a long tow to any services

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Very good roadside assistance on that big highway....

Grab the roadside pork at the SD entry or the one Monte Plata at top of the hill on the road... not the Texaco

New highway, after Nagua there is a short cut to PC after the 2nd toll look for a bridge with huge tubes on the side of it, it will be going down hill and after that bridge you have to kind of do a u turn to the left and on that road there will be baseball farm team feild along the way. 

I would never go through Santiago and SD if I could help it. 

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
New highway, after Nagua there is a short cut to PC after the 2nd toll look for a bridge with huge tubes on the side of it, it will be going down hill and after that bridge you have to kind of do a u turn to the left and on that road there will be baseball farm team feild along the way. 

I would never go through Santiago and SD if I could help it. 

what's the road like down that way through hato mayor and el seibo? I've got to pick family up from the airport there soon but looking to avoid going via SD