Comments on Sosua

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I went to Sosua for the first time in November of last year and I loved it so much I returned 6 weeks later in Janurary for 9 more days.I didnt get to travel around the rest of the country but I plan to next time I return.I think when you factor in the prices,the weather and the girls,it is the best place in the world to visit...especially after living in New York for my whole life and dealing with the horrible winters we experience here and the expense of living.
Like I said I am planing on traveling around the entire country for 4 or 5 weeks when I return.Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about this?Which airport should I fly into?What cities/towns should I visit?How should I get from one town to another (bus,taxi,ect.).Let me add that I am a 30 yr old white American that enjoys places that have an enjoyable nightlife and beautiful girls. Thanks to anyone that can offer me suggestions and I look forward to posting on here frequently.

Message to EDDY: I was in your bar a few times in Janurary. Very nice place. You had a few beautiful girls working there (one was named Bianca).My friend Mike and I had a lot of fun joking around with her.Even though I did not formally meet you I was surprised to see you posting on here and wanted to say "hello". By the way,do you rent any rooms upstairs from the bar and if so,how much are they.Thanks.
ILoveDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear IloveDR:

You should get a shitload of responses, from serious ones to really silly ones.

I think that you should send an e-mail to Dolores DR1, and ask her for her article on this very subject. Maybe you could find it in an archive search.

Here are my impressions.:
1) Set up a base camp.
2) Get a good vehicle and road map from Texaco
3) Sit down and think.

This country is quite large-48,000 sq km or about the size of West Virginia. It has three fairly respectable mountain ranges, up to 10,000 feet. However, unlike most Central American or South American countries, you can drive all over on reasonable roads...And there are phones everywhere.

Start where you are familiar: Puerto Plata. First, go West and explore beaches that are nearly unknown to most people: Luperon, Punta Ruc?a, Buen Hombre and Montecristi. Go South a bit to Dajabon, park on the Dominican side and cross over into Haiti, for an hour or so...there is a market in Juana Mendez (Haiti) that sells 'everything" . Then on to Santiago Rodriguez, a lovely hill town where you can spend the night if you want. Up to Moncion for some sightseeing, then down to Mao, a bustling agricultural center. From Mao you can go to Santiago, the largest city in the northern half of the country and the heart of the whole country. It is a city of 800,000 people, has universities, major manufacturing and markets galore. (The most beautiful girls in the country according to some). Great night life.
Then back to POP for R&R.
Next, go East, to Cabarete and Rio San Juan, Cabrera and Nagua. Beaches to die for. Exotic little bars and bistros all over the place. Outstanding golf at Playa Grande. There is a saying in Nagua that every woman there is 'available" , even the Governor!

Saman? is a must: Las Galeras and the whole area are too beautiful to miss....

Then a drive to San Francisco de Marcorix a hugely growing town, now the third largest inthe DR. Good food available, but not much to see.

Depending on your stamana, you can either take the highway back to Santiago or go thru several small, typical towns: Tenares, Salcedo and Moca, before heading over the mountains thru Jamao and eating at the Cafeto Restrauant, above the clouds...

Again, some R&R.

Now, you change your base of operations to someplace loaded with sex & the city: Boca Chica.

First trip East to Punta Cana, Bavaro, La Romana. Resorts galore, but all inclusive, not much going on unless you are in the IN crowd. Juan Dolio is on the way to and from the East, and worth a Stop. BTW, Dolores can give you an itemized itinerary on this.
Next, thru Santo Domingo and down the South west part of the island.
\
I am tired, You can see that this will get very long and detailed?? Yes it will.

Have fun,

HB

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
To ILoveDr

I think Hillbilly's response covers pretty well everything. Sorry I missed you during your last visit, hope we meet on the next. Bianca, her sister Jackie, Selena etc. all have rooms at the back of the bar. (My way to make sure they go to school and behave themselves LOL) I do have a couple of other rooms for rent but as a rule they are occupied most of the time by "Regulars" who come to Sosua for several months at the time. I own/manage some condos that might interest you but we can talk about that on you next trip.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Wow Hillbilly,that was some response.Thank you very much.I hadnt thought about renting a car but thats probably a necessity if I am going to really see the country and do it the right way.Do you know what the rental rates are?I wish I could come down now for a month but unfortunately,I am going to have to wait until at least August.I am going to try to hold out until winter comes around again but I dont think I can wait that long.Like I said in my previous post,when I first went down in November,I returned 6 weeks later.
Thanks again,
ILoveDR

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Renting a car

Just click on the National banner and you'll get the rates. I've been renting from them at the Puerto Plata airport for several years and never a problem. Ask for Christian and he'll throw in a map. Just watch out for potholes on some of the less traveled roads.