Curiosities in the Dominican Republic

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
-New York City Board of Education is searching for 500 teachers in the Caribbean, including the Dominican Republic. It seems the shortage of bilingual teachers is critical in the big apple. It reminds me of a similar situation in North Carolina, where bilingual teachers can name their price, but cannot afford Charlotte.

However, there will be few takers here. Bilingual teachers with a background conmensurate with NYC standards are heavily recruited here in DR and better paid(relatively) than New York teachers. Salary in NYC starts at US$2500 a month($31,000 a year). But most of your salary is spent for rent, utilities, food and transportation. There is little left for anything else. On top of that, they will be catering to the most difficult chopo students in N.Y. They will have to wear bullet-proof vests.

-The last commercial space available at The Acropolis Mall on Churchill Avenue, Piantini, a small 57.72 sq.mtr.(620sq.ft.) room is being sold for US$5000 a meter, or $US465 per sq.ft. In pesos we are talking $90,000 per mtr. the most expensive commercial real estate in this nation. I guess just the maintenance fee would run you about $15-20,000 per month or more. Compare that to space at Charles Summer Ave. at about $20,000 or the rest of the city at between $15-20,000 for commercial built space. You have to sell quite a bit of merchandise to come up with the mortgage.

-Other comparisons worth checking. Metro Country Club Villas with over 600 sq.mtrs.(6460sq.ft.)are selling just over US$250,000, or $370 a sq. mtr. Costa Bavaro units sell for US$500,000 in slightly larger lots. Cap Cana is for the super rich.

-For the first time apartments in the Oriental Zone are going over $1,000,000 pesos. Even in the Carrefour area, a chopo neighborhood they are going for $1,450,000 for 3 bdrms.

-K-Mart is closing more than 700 stores worldwide, yet they insist on opening in DR. Levi Strauss is cutting 20% of their labor force and will stop manufacturing. How will that affect our Levi's shops? Stores and shops are closing very fast in DR malls, but just as soon, new ones open up in the same locations closed.

-The Male Revue Show "Solo Para Mujeres"(Only for Women) opening tomorrow at the Jaragua was sued by Sonia Luna, an overrated DR TV hostess who runs a show with a similar registered name. She owns the property rights in DR. The whole thing was another shameful example of publicity in her part. I would not be surprised if both shows got together to plant this fight to arouse controversy. Both shows are worth beans.

-Pump and Circumstances: The orderly and dignified manner of the state funeral for the Lady Queen of England(this one goes into history) contrasts with the "chopo" funeral of our Jose Francisco Pe?a Gomez. We definetly have a long way to go!!! And, with the Haitians coming, our funerals will turn into voodoo parties.

-Maria Felix, the most admired hispanic movie actress in the last 50 years, who just died, was a playgirl who had as many, or more romances than Liz Taylor. She even spent a much publicized one-night stand with an Arab Sheik. So ladies(Jan and company) that just goes to show you that to be respected and admired you don't have to be a nun.

-Friends of Luis Medrano, the DR show promoter who brought you acts like Luis Miguel, published a paid statement on Diario Libre attacking some unknown detractors of the the promoter. They went as far as to call them "rats". Chopos attacking each other!!

-Punta Cana is now the #1 tourist airport in DR. Its passenger load exceeds Las Americas Airport, shamefully named recently after Jose Francisco Pe?a Gomez, the Chopo's hero. Thank god it was the airport and not one of the streets in my neighborhood!!!
And for the foreign hypocrites, let me know how many would like to have their streets named after ML King or Malcolm X?

-Who are the fools who call 1-976 numbers? Get this one...."Espa?ola de 37 a?os. Me gustaria tener amigos Dominicanos para fines serios., soltera, muy bonita, con buena posicion economica". Guess who answers the call?...A fat lipped Haitiana-looking, 250 lbs. chopa. Check your phone bill!!!

-Our new Dominican Major League Manager for the Detorit Tigers, Luis Pujols, was fired by the Dominican Winter League team Leones del Escogido. It seems Pujols only lands on losers. The Detroit Tigers(sorry Suarezn) are the Titanic of baseball. He will get paid handsomely though for ending last and a sure firing soon. Is our league that tough that you get fired here but get hired by the Major Leagues?

For the rest hahahahahahah!

-TW

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Golo you are at it again.

Golo,

I see you just could not resist that comment about
Haiti now could you?

Golo,

What kind of funeral than do you think would have been appropriate for Pena Gomez now that you bring
up the matter?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Isaac

Pe?a Gomez's body should have been sent back to Haiti, where it came from. He deserved a voodo funeral, something he believe in pretty much. Or, havent' you seen the video his friends took with him doing black magic and voodoo ceremonies? Did you see him dressed up in vooddo clothes with his hanky? This was all on national TV and was even used for political ads against him.

You need to brush up on your history and Dominican news to stick with me.

TW

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
Jessica- Maybe this could help...

As the guys, I am sure, might do a better job at explaining...

The dictionary meaning for Chopo is: a Black poplar-tree, but Dominicans have taken this word and used it to ridicule people who they might think do not meet their social or economic circle or for that matter, people who do not share their ideas or way of thinking. Chopa is used for the female and chopiar is the work done by the chopos.

Dominicans also play around with the word while in the company of their friends. In other words, do not say this word while having an argument or to someone you do not know, as it is could be offensive.
MS

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Golo we have had this discussion before.

And look for the 1 millioneth time, when I was in
Santiago just a few months ago I saw these people
all white(missionaries) I do not know what there
religious teachings are however I believe they
are latter day saints I think that when it is
90 + degrees outside and they walk around with
black slacks on and long sleeve shirts that this is a little odd but it is there religion.

I wish that people would stop associating vodoo
with evil. Should I associate the Catholic Church
with evil because some of its priest prey on little boys of course not, stop that damn media
inspired and politically driven rhetoric that
equates vodoo with evil you know that it is just
an attention getter used for selfish reasons.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Salomon

You are wrong. Ideas have nothing to do with being a chopo. Just because you disagree with somebody does not make him or her a chopo.

There is plenty of material on this in history files in DR1. But to make life easy for you here is a rundown:

Chopos do the following: Talk loud in public, listen to music loud in the streets, cars and at home,throw garbage on the streets, not the trash can,blow their car horns everywhere, scream at people from their windows,hang-dry their clothes from balconies and windows,live in ghettos and rundown neighborhoods in spite of their income, build million dollar houses in ghettos, drive cars with neon plates, cd's hanging from their rearview mirror, women wear colitas 24 hrs. a day, love to wear sneakers instead of shoes,wear lots of gold and jewelry in excess,their idea of listening music is merengue and bachata at 6 a.m. in the morning,or listen to reggae all day long, walk like monkeys,and use rudimentary language, slangs and dirty words.

Just a brief sketch. I could cite more than 5000 qualities that identify chopos. The word is used casually to name the service people in Dominican homes, like maids, washing ladies and clean-up people. 99% of chopos are black or indian skin types with kinky hair.

For instance, Pedro Martinez, perhaps the best pitcher in baseball is a chopo in spite of his millions. His demeanor has not changed. On the other hand, Sammy Sosa, one of the greatest chopos of all time prior to joining the Cubs has refined himself into a fine gentleman. He has used the money well and good advise from P.R. people. His only drawback is that his speech has not improved that much.

TW

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
oh and further more.

What about the Cubans and Santeria I guess they are evil to, you people here on this board are
too smart and savvy to constantly be made to believe every thing that the popular media says
hasn't anybody ever heard read between the lines?
The media would sell their own mother for a story.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
TW....Saw that little nun remark! Very funny! You always do bring a smile to my face. So where do you suggest I start being the "de-nunning"? The country clubs...or the colmados. Or do I need to call the princes I know? Any suggestions where I should start my new career? All suggestions will be weighed out and thought about deeply.LOL!......think I should get out that black dress or would red be more appropriate?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Jan

It all depends. I figure since you always defend the family institution and all goodie-do-good postings on the board, I thought of you and perhaps Pib as ready for nunship.

But if I recall in some of your previous postings you have been reported drinking beer straight from bottles listening to bachata in colmadones, and supposedly picked a chopo boyfriend in a colmado. I may be wrong, but I thought I read one of your posts claiming such credits.

If that's the case, you may be able to follow in Maria Felix's footsteps by just doing it more often.

Hehehehe!!!! Just in fun. I know you are a fine lady.

Hey Isaac: Cubans do santeria with catholic rituals and only casually

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
Golo.

If you disagree on one?s idealization, you might consider the person a chopo. For example If I were to tell you that the person who works in your house, and I hope you pay her, is a housekeeper or ? cuidadora domestica? and not a chopa who should be respected, you might turn around and consider me a chopa because of the way I think.
But Golo, do chopos really have a specific color? Two years back I went backpacking through Europe and here in America?well!!! If your description of a chopo is correct?Honey, let me tell you, they come in all colors.

MS

PS: Now I know what you would think of me if you ever saw me as I am of Indian color.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Talk about Chopos!1

Here's my idea of a chopo. I went last week to see my Dominican wife's family who live in Lebanon,PA, one rented house with 7 people living there(To save rent) Lebanon and all the places that I visited in PA sucked.
Passed through Buffalo, Syracuse, Scranton, all lousy places to live in my opinion. Probably all crime infested too.

One of the family members went to the DR, all of the other people in the house, made a bee line towards Wal-Mart to buy all manner of stupid things for the family back home.

The poor person who went there hardly had any room for his own clothes. Everything from toothbrushes to shirts that I would never wear.

Total spend, about $200US dollars. I am sure that the family back home thinks that they are all rich, if they only knew the truth. Thats chopism at its best

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Fred well put.

For an extranjero one would think that Dominicans
are all well to do when you consider that even
the poorest Dominican has a cell-phone, are there
no greater priorities to attend to that is what I call Chopo-ism.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Isaac,

When I lived there most poor boys ran around with no clothes but the Papa had his radio and sometimes a TV. Priorities! Today the cell phone has replaced the radio...

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
jessica__78 said:
is it only a dominican who is a chopo, or is it all hispanics(who fit the profile of a chopo)

It all depends from what country. Chopo is a Dominican term. For Cuban's it is Chusma! For Puerto Rican's it is Jibaro In the US it is White Trash, trailer trash, Kmart shopper and so on! (Of course that is for the whites. For other races their are other terms)

Tony C.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Oh yes, Cell phones

I am glad somebody brought the subject back again. I will not deny I have a cell phone like everybody else. But for gods sake, stop showing your cell phone!!!

There is no greater sign of chopo behavior than answering cell calls in public, specially those loud ones who want everyone to hear the orders they are giving their engineer over the phone.....Oh Ingeniero, tireme la zapata hoy mismo, que voy ahora a comprar los 1000 mts. de ceramica!!!

I also feel so embarrassed to hear a cell phone ring in a church. It pains me to see the priest,s reaction. Why? Why? How can any person be so barbaric. Why bring a cell phone to a movie?

The latest chopo girl fad.....carrying the cell phone in the back pocket of tight jeans....Que cursi mi hermano!!! I would never go out with a woman who does that, and if she wants to carry the phone I will have it put in her bag. Well hidden. Women with cell phones look even worse than men. Have you seen a more ridiculous sight than a woman at a supermarket pushing the shopping cart with a cell phone talking to her maid asking her what groceries she needs? Oye Maria cuanta lechuga te llevo? What about policemen? I mean, we all know these guys cannot even pay their rent...Digame mi general, cuales son las ordenes? Yeah sure, like if a general is going to call a corporal over a cell phone.

Se?ores,que maldita chusma. hay que tenerlo blindado para tener un celular, un beeper y cuatro plumas en los bolsillos de la camisa. Yes sir!!! I have seen guys walking around with 3 and five pens in shirt pockets and some with a plastic pen holder to boot!!!

What about "chacabanas"? Que maldito look!!! Can you believe this guy Hipolito creating a chopo fashion statement like wearing chacabanas? Like if chopos needed an incentive? What about these white cowboy hats? How ridiculous can you look? There is only one guy in the world that looks good with a chacabana, and that is Oscar De La Renta. But he knows where to wear it(At his Casa de Campo Villa, which I believe he sold to buy at Punta Cana) I forgive him for it, but it should not be. The chacabana is the equivalent of the famous polyester suit jacket made famous by southern hicks. Remember that monstruosity? It even had epauletes!! And of course the pointed pocket flaps.HEhehehe!
I just adored looking at those hicks with their favorite color......light baby blue.

The latest chacabana monstruosity.....peach linen chacabanas.

Oh my god...This chopo world just does not end. And with the population explosion "la chusma" will rule the world.

TW

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Oscar de la Renta did wear the chacabana in the August 2001 issue of InStyle magazine, TW. They did a profile on him including lots of shots of his home in La Romana and his wife, or was it girlfriend. Well, maybe you have been to his house anyway. He even has a tiny chapel on his property. Hippo probably took Oscar's lead thinking it was cool to wear one.

On the fashion note, tight jeans went out with the 80's. The only ones being worn now-a-days are the hip huggers. Tight at the hip but not like the tight jeans of the past. The leather lace up at the croch are the ones I prefer and there is absolutley no room for a cell phone in those! Shame on those chopas, Joan Rivers would just have a hay-day with them on E! television network.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
The correct term for them is Guayabera not chacabana. I guess it also matters from where you are from. For Cubans guayaberas are not in bd taste and are quite socialy acceptable. In fact anyone from the chusma class would never wear one.

Tony C.

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
Thank you Tony C for the explanation!

My fiance and I have a very relaxed relationship, we sometimes (in the privacy of our home, or in front of very close family) rag on each other. He calls me gringa, white trash, trailer trash and I sometimes call him spic and other words that I dont think are not approiate for the forum. Mind you that it is all in good fun, nobody is for real. Anyways, yesterday I saw a great opp. for another ball buster and I called him a "chopo" and he was so surprised that I had even heard of that word!

Now we are 2 chopos in love!!!!!