Wasp with bright red body

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yesterday there was a black wasp stalking me, but it had a fire engine red body.

Is this a regular wasp?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I thought the title was referring to a sun-burned person from Minnesota.
Could be a mud dauber. But if it is building a paper nest, not mud, then it is likely 'Polistes carolina', which has black wings and they can be aggressive

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I thought the title was referring to a sun-burned person from Minnesota.
Could be a mud dauber. But if it is building a paper nest, not mud, then it is likely 'Polistes carolina', which has black wings and they can be aggressive

Wings and head were black. Creepy and beautiful at the same time. Never saw one before

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Must be one of them there "Fire engine" wasps people are always talking about that can turn you into a quadriplegic with just one sting if it's on your left hand little finger between the second and third knuckle.

Be careful girl, I don't want anything to happen to you, now that you've finally been reunited with your bag (Returned in good health, if I may add)

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I don't think she's talking about a paper wasp. I occasionally see these big red and black wasps and they seem to just hover around bumping into things. Do they sting I don't know. The first time I saw one I thought it was a hummingbird.

May 5, 2007
Yesterday there was a black wasp stalking me, but it had a fire engine red body.

Is this a regular wasp?

It is a "Super wasp" sorry, just had to :ermm: I don't thgink Velvet Ants, likely the ones that are called "Cow Killlers" and match your deescription can fly At least I hope not

Pssst, don't worry, word has it that Trump will be firing them anyway :disappoin

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Could have been a Tarantula Hawk, a type of large wasp but they normally have black body and fire color wings like a butterfly. These are extremely dangerous, I think its the 2nd most poisonous insect sting. They paralyze tarantulas with their sting and lay larvae eggs inside the victim. It may mean you have a tarantula around your house somewhere.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Could have been a Tarantula Hawk, a type of large wasp but they normally have black body and fire color wings like a butterfly. These are extremely dangerous, I think its the 2nd most poisonous insect sting. They paralyze tarantulas with their sting and lay larvae eggs inside the victim. It may mean you have a tarantula around your house somewhere.

Oh joy. Will keep eyes peeled.