Study abroad

KEL

May 6, 2002
I am going to be in the Dominican Republic for a Study abroad program in June. I was reading some of the posts, and was a little disapointed and scared when i saw onion&carrots message. I realize from the responses that he got that you all seem to disagree, but none the less it bothered me.
One of my friends told me that she heard that the rape rate was high in the Dominican Republic too.
I picked this place because i met a guy that was from the Dominican Republic and he had nothing but good things to say about it, and i have heard that the people are really friendly there.
Some reasurance I guess is all that i need.
I havent been nervous or scared to go, since I am going alone, untill now. Thanks guys, KEL

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Kel, here is some reasurrance. Onions and carrots is a Dominican and he thinks he's being funny but he's not. I stayed in Sosua for a month on my own and I saw nothing of what he is talking about. Go have fun.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
please don't pay attention to O&C, the guy is just lame, looking to draw a reaction from other posters.

DR is a great place to visit and if you're going on an extended stay you'll have the experience of a lifetime. The people are very warm and welcoming and life is defenetly slower. Just be open minded and street smart, you'll do just fine.

Mar 21, 2002
I'm just kidding

There's nothing safer than the DR. It was just a joke so don't take it seriously. Crime exists everywhere but in the DR you don't have the heinous crimes that you have in the USA. There are no Ted Bundys',Jeffrey Dahmers',Jason Vorhees. Well the last one isn't a real person, he's from the Friday the 13 movies.

Anyways, go to the DR. The people are very friendly and helpful. We care about everyone and take care off all. If your hungry we'll feed you, if your naked we'll clothe you so on and so forth.

My post was just intended to be some macabre humor. Lighten up it's not the scene of a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Don't worry about it!

Macabre 'humor' aside, you really should feel safe there. Act as cautious as you would anyplace else, especially considering it is a new place youa re going to for the first time.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
No te preocupas

Just like any other place in the world the DR can be dangerous if you're dumb and safe if you take precautions. Don't worry about it too much. I've found that a smile can easily pave the way for me and that people are kind and very considerate of foreigners. Don't run around the streets of Santo Domingo wearing the crown jewels or with 500 peso bills hanging out of your pockets and you'll be fine. By the way, where will you be?

KEL

May 6, 2002
Hey i just wanted to thank you guys for your responses. For O&C I can take a joke, it just made me a little nervous because I will be going by myself.
rrwells....I will be in Santo Domingo so i will remember what you said about the jewels and money, Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Shoot, I thought you were in a good program

Now if you had been coming to Santiago...things would have been different, you would have been under the HB's Protective Unbrellah....

Good Luck,,,,,,I mean it, you'll have a blast...

What is that girl doing using words like "macabre" ?? does this have anything to do with goats???

HB
needs_a_shave.gif