ALL read, it's important!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thinking of splitting the "Open" forum into sub forums.
It's starting to bog down a little and I think it will make it easier to navigate for all.

We need some headings :)

~ Romance and Slankies
~ Corruption and Power
~ Worthless trash I need to post...

Etc etc...

You have a week, we will open this Monday 13th May.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Onions&carrots[/B] said:
This where I'll post all of the great things that just seem to pop out of my head.
TAKE COVER!

Splitting the forum? Why!?
dozey.gif
Then it would take even more effort to navigate thru the forums. And you know, I am "Effort Impaired".

KISS!

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Rob,

This might make a whole lot more work for you. It's all "subjective". What one might think is trash another might think is relative. So you might have to do a lot of closing threads and moving threads. Just a thought.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert,

I think it is a good idea and in the best interests of the message board. Sure, it will be more work for you and Dolores at the beginning, but people will soon get the idea just as they did the present format after changing from the previous board.

When you monitor the postings, there is another thing I wish you would be on the lookout for. Too often a thread is started by someone seeking information, only to have one of the "regulars" swing the subject off in a different direction. One example is the thread on nannies that got sidetracked onto realestate. Another example is the poster who sees a message from an acquaintance and posts a personal message to that person, thus shifting the thread into an exchange of messages between the two.

Seems to me that common courtesy, if nothing else, dictates that we keep a thread focused on the questions asked by the person who started the thread.

I await the flak this message is likely to trigger.

Ken

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hey, Ken - how's it going? (ha ha)

I think people should try to stay on topic, but a personal aside here and there gives a sense of community to the boards.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's called filtering...

It may or may not work, nothing worse than never knowing.

Lets see...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Ken[/B] said:
Another example is the poster who sees a message from an acquaintance and posts a personal message to that person, thus shifting the thread into an exchange of messages between the two.
I happen to agree with you on that, but I don't think that splitting the board will fix it. It will take a lot of supervision from Rob to move/edit/delete posts to keep the threads on the OP. And anyways, the Open Forum was supposed to be sort of like the trash bin anyways. If someone post something on this forum it is expected to be more of a relaxed response to it. People seem to respect the other forums and refrain from hijacking threads there.

Just my humble, requested opinion
wink3.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J and Pib,

I understand what Jane is saying, but too often the personal asides trigger a posting, leading to another, and another. Meantime the person who started the thread is waiting for help that either doesn't come, or that is limited by the fact the focus of the thread was shifted before all those who might have had information to contribute did so.

It isn't just the Open section threads that get hijacked. It happens in other threads as well. Actually, however, it isn't which section the original message was posted in that concerns me, it is what too often happens to a thread that was started with a request for assistance of some sort--no matter what section it is in. If, for example, a newbie posts a question in the Open section, not realizing it might better be posted elsewhere, the fact that it is in the Open section shouldn't make the thread fair game for whatever the subsequent posters want to do with it.

Ken

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's see...

We can always go back to the old way if this doesn't work out.

I have seen this on another board :)

~ The BBQ Pit ~
If you gotta flame, do it here. This is the place for all complaints and other discussion regarding administration of DR1.

Now send me those titles!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Robert are you doing this so that people can discuss other things besides the DR ? If I've learned any thing in life it's that people are creatures of habit and will continue to post where they are used to posting and if there's too many forums, they will just ignore them and keep posting here.
This is only my opinion.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
These are sub forums...

they will still be under the "Open" forum.

Let me go back to my original question. Please send me headings for these new forums.

This is going to sound arrogant, honestly it's not meant this way. I want headings, I'm really not interested in what people think of sub-forums etc etc just yet. No one has seen how it's going to work, so it's impossible for people to comment to whether it's a good idea or not. 6 years of site experience have shown me it's better to give people something, then assess it's usefulness.

We can always go back to how it was, it's a click of a button.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Sub Forums

I left my heart in the DR

For all those people searching for Miguel who works at the Punta Cana Beach Resort

Trujillo, Balaguar et al

For all those who want to complain or learn about dominican politics and history

Que Interesante

For dominicanisms and other interesting facts

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don,t find the word "S*H*I*T" all that offensive

Yet it is depleted if I say, "shit!" On the page that lists all 5 DR1 Forums there follows each title a description of what each forum is about.Open Forum;"Not for the faint hearted or easily offended"Wow!some people must be "very easily offended"!I would suggest,"OPEN Forum #1",similar to what we have now."OPEN FORUM#2"Anything goes,except,Racial slurs,death threats,and sexually explicit name calling"!So how about it "O&C"you ignorant little boy,"Azb" you Pontificating Pakistani Peanut Brain,and'golo' the dominican "Know it all" care to join me on "Open Forum II"? Criss C

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Just a thought...

Perhaps you should only let silver (and up) posters on Criss' Open Forum #2 so that newbies aren't frightened away.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I like CCC's suggestion.
OPEN FORUM #2 My future homepage X

PS. I don't like death threat warning though.
That never was a problem and it invokes a
creepy twist.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok me understand now :)

How about,

1.How do I get a visa, for B/G to visit U.S. Canada ect.
2.How do I go about making wedding plans in the DR.
3.Lost Friends. Can anyone help?
4. Dominican Politics

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Let me give it a try:

"Love stricken green-pea bimbos and sugardaddies"
For all the suckers who are in love with a low-life sankie or a money hungry putas (including: requests for changed cell numbers of sankies/putas and ways to wire money to them).

"Listen up you turd"
Here you unleash your stock pile of insults at anyone deemed worthy of your useless time.

"Total waste of bandwidth"

Anything which is no way remotely related to DR. Here you can talk about dating baseball players in miami to discussing if tofu is indeed a best substitute for meat.

"Inside info"

Here we talk about stuff that pertains to know-hows into dominican political / social system, including: Who was behind the recent killings, how to pick up decent girls the reliable way, ways to reduce cost of a date, the political parties and their personal gain, the street dogs, kissing a dog, colmado pick up lines, who is a chopo and who is a bigger chopo etc.

"Men from mars and women from venus"
Why women are better than men and visa versa.

"I am an Idiot"

The heading explains it all but anyway here is are examples: "the 2 KM distance is by walking or by car...?"
"can you please tell me where I can find santiago on duarte street?"
"You didn't tell us in which one of the 3 voyages colombus died on the way to the new world?"

"Haiti Vs DR"

Isaac green can have it all to himself.

Mar 21, 2002
Rob

Go back to the old style and just start banning posts. Or maybe you should ban me O&C,Criss Colon,Jazzcom,AZB and esp. TW plus all of us troublemakers for life.
We maybe ruining your business with all the crap we spew out daily. Seriously if I was the owner of this site I would have xxed all of us already. That way by getting rid of the weeds, the wheat can grow. I realize that all of the above mentioned lunatics have some real mental disorders. Also many of the new folks out there who are scared to post would come to the forefront.