What do you call your Dominican Mother-in-law?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
No wise cracks please!

I was raised that when you get engaged you start to call your future mother in law. Mom. Ma. Mama ect. So I wondered if it's the same in the DR. My son in law always calls me Mom. My son's wife always calls me Anna but now that she has kids she at least calls me Nonna in front of them. So lets hear what you were taught or told to call your Mother in law.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I used to call my suegra Mam? (used to, because she passed away) and my suegro Pap?. I think this was my choice to call them what their own kids call them because they were both such respectable, commanding figures that to call them anything else would have seemed wrong to me. But no one said I should call them anything in particular - that was my choice. I wonder what I'll call my next in-laws...(Joking)

By contrast, my husband calls my parents by their first names. So I think it's a question of comfort, rather than custom.

Jodi

Jan 2, 2002
My husband and I call his Dominican mother mami and my Canadian mother mom. His father is papa, mine is dad.

michelle

Apr 25, 2002
I call them suegra/o and if i am being smart i call them Mom and Dad in english !! They only speak spanish and I don't think they know what it means!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Do?a

When I first got married, I tried my best to be respectful and polite (as I was raised to do), so I called my mother-in-law "Do?a Hilda." One day my wife took me aside and said that it would probably please her mother if I started calling her "Mam?" just as my wife did. So I tried it, and her face lit up so much that I call her that to this day. She and I get along extremely well, and she has said many times that I am the son she never had...
[An aside: my wife's maternal aunt is also her madrina. After seeing my wife greet her several times with "Bencion, madrina," ("besando la mano") and receiving the blessing, I tried calling her madrina and seeking the blessing. She loved it. And she still eats it up when I enter a room full of family and she's about the first person I greet, always seeking the blessing first before conversing.]
My wife's father was killed when she was only 2, so I never had a chance to test "Pap?" on him. By all accounts her was a serious and imposing fellow, so I probably would have been hesitant to call him anything but "Don Daimiro" unless he himself instructed me to do so.
My family is very relaxed and informal about such things and they adore my wife, so she very quickly fell into calling them "Dad" and "Mom."
Best Regards,
Keith

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I always used "don Fulano" with my suegro

But my mother in law was Mama Yuya, for me and the whole freakin' town! A great woman, eaten away by Altzheimer's, all too soon...Christmas has never been the same...

HB

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I call my mom-in-law and father-in-law mama y papa. The same with Aunties and Uncles, it's Tia y Tio. I don't think anything could make them happier.