What Restaurants offer Gluten Free / Wheat free menus items?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
What Restaurants offer Gluten Free / Wheat free menus items?

Following the thread "Eats Sosua and Cabarete - good news bad news" It would be useful to identify those that offer Gluten Free /Wheat Free Menu items.

A quite large number of people are allergic or react to gluten / wheat products. For the population in general it is up to 10% and for those over 50 years old even higher for some reason. Gluten Sensitivity is an autoimmune reaction in the body to the consumption of the proteins contained in wheat, barley and rye. It is commonly called Celiac Disease but another form - Wheat Allergy is slightly different causing reactions of a critical type. Gluten is the common name given to the protein part of these grains. If you have this problem you are looking for restaurants that understand this, prepare food in a different place to avoid cross contamination or completely avoid any Gluten food stiffs in their environment. I have lived here for over 10 years and have found a number of restaurateurs very helpful.

Some of the restaurants that really look after you if you have this problem. Here are some on the North Coast.

Vitamin D
Bliss
Villa Taino with Chef Lumin
D Hot Indian Restaurant
Crazy Ranch.
Alis Surf Camp
Parada El Choco

There are probably more and I would like owners and restaurants that feel they can offer a gluten free menu or items to comment below. I have contacted a number of restaurants already but with indifferent results. I wont name them here. The criteria are no Gluten ingredients and a separate preparation area as discussed in the web site below.
I look forward to getting your comments as I am one that has a Gluten Allergy and the consequences for me can be severe. Comment below !

http://www.gluten-free-diet-help.com/gluten-free-foods.html

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
You can start here. Vitamin D Cafe at Aquilina in Cabarete. They claim to be entirely gluten free. That said, I found the menu not to my liking, but may be just what you’re looking for.

https://kiteboardingcabarete.com/eat/

Edit:
Now I see you asked and answered the question yourself!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Ask! Trigo = wheat. Harina = flour. Pan = bread.

Basically, avoid anything fried as it was probably floured. Testones = fried plaintains is okay. I'm a big fan of roasted chicken (pollo asado), rice, plaintains (mango), etc. Just ask. People will go out of their way to help you.

'pica pollo' or fried chicken should be avoided. Basically, KFC (flour dipped) chicken is a huge no, no.

If somebody offers you a tortilla, consider it a novelty, but no...