I'm newwww

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
Hey! I'm 34, and a US resident (US & UK citizen) recently married to a Dominican resident (Dominican & Greek Citizen).

We have lived together in SFM (Barrio San Pedro) for 3 months. I'm returning to the States for 6 months to work and save money before coming back to DR permanently with my Visa.

We are hoping to start a BnB in Puerto Plata, he is a chef and I am a photographer.

I'm having some culture shock moments here and there, but am faring well so far.

I look forward to being a part of this group, and appreciate any advice!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I see Bambi in the headlights of a voladora.

Well good luck. Hope it works out for you. Milk is no big deal. Making a go of it, is.

Please read all of Matilda's posts. She is also a Brit and she is doing pretty okay....but the road was "rocky" to say the least.

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

Well good luck. Hope it works out for you. Milk is no big deal. Making a go of it, is.

Please read all of Matilda's posts. She is also a Brit and she is doing pretty okay....but the road was "rocky" to say the least.

HB

Haha HB. Matilda doesn't drink the milk here lol.

Matilda

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018

See, I'm not certain this ^ bit was necessary. Even if that's the case, what does saying that help?

I guess what I need to say, is: If you can give advice from a horse of equal height to the rest of us, I'd appreciate it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The advice is, don't invest and start a business until you have residency or citizenship.
Pay your taxes
Get along with your neighbors and others in the business community
Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.
Everything costs more here in the end.
Get your payments for service up front and in full.
Keep good records and copies of all passports of your guests.

Take it slow and think, then think again.

Welcome, good luck when you return.

fstopper84

Nov 9, 2018
The advice is, don't invest and start a business until you have residency or citizenship.
Pay your taxes
Get along with your neighbors and others in the business community
Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.
Everything costs more here in the end.
Get your payments for service up front and in full.
Keep good records and copies of all passports of your guests.

Take it slow and think, then think again.

Welcome, good luck when you return.
Thank you so much! Yes it seems money goes a lot faster than it looks like it should, which has been a rough lesson to learn.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....Welcome...enjoy your run thru the jungle....another dont...dont talk to people on the street you dont know, no matter how good their english or how much they say you are friends..........

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
How profitable is/would be a B&B in Puerto Plata? There are plenty here that could chime in, many that actually live in PP.