Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,904
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Haitians not allowed on buses

    Conatra Buses will not allow Haitians as passengers, beginning today, regardless of their immigration status. This is because the government has confiscated some buses that were carrying illegal Haitians. Owners say since they are not immigration officers and cannot determine who is legal and who is not, they will refuse them all.

    https://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/12/...-sus-unidades/

    https://listindiario.com/la-republic...portar-estatus

    Administrator
    DR1.com

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think this is the reason why my friend had a problem on the bus west of Santiago a couple of months ago. There were a lot of Haitians on the bus.

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Theres no way this is real. But then again I have been surprised many times in this country. So what about all those Americans, Europeans, etc. Overstaying their tourist cards then, they're gonna be denied too? *sarcasm Our house maid that takes care of my grandpa is Haitian and her grandma in Haiti just died, hopefully they don't have any trouble getting back in the country for this ridiculous policy.

  4. Likes wuarhat liked this post
  5. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Conatra Buses will not allow Haitians as passengers, beginning today, regardless of their immigration status. This is because the government has confiscated some buses that were carrying illegal Haitians. Owners say since they are not immigration officers and cannot determine who is legal and who is not, they will refuse them all.

    https://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/12/...-sus-unidades/

    https://listindiario.com/la-republic...portar-estatus
    this should get interesting if it is taken to its logical extreme, i.e. all the public transportation providers refusing access to Haitians, using that same reason. my guess is that this will all evaporate, post haste, and will go back to business as usual.

  6. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
  7. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    this should get interesting if it is taken to its logical extreme, i.e. all the public transportation providers refusing access to Haitians, using that same reason. my guess is that this will all evaporate, post haste, and will go back to business as usual.
    By this time tomorrow the government will be giving Conatra its confiscated units. It simply can't win this one, not only because of the electoral power these transportation syndicates hold, but also due to who those syndicates are victimizing.

  8. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naked_Snake View Post
    By this time tomorrow the government will be giving Conatra its confiscated units. It simply can't win this one, not only because of the electoral power these transportation syndicates hold, but also due to who those syndicates are victimizing.
    just as i thought...

  9. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Using this same logic all businesses in the country should be shut down. I agree with Gorgon and Naked _ Snake (aren't all snakes naked)? This can't stand. Just another knee jerk action of someone doing something foolish.

  10. Likes CristoRey liked this post
  11. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No way it will last very long. Just "arm twisting" by Conatra.

  12. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Conatra Buses will not allow Haitians as passengers, beginning today, regardless of their immigration status. This is because the government has confiscated some buses that were carrying illegal Haitians. Owners say since they are not immigration officers and cannot determine who is legal and who is not, they will refuse them all.

    https://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/12/...-sus-unidades/

    https://listindiario.com/la-republic...portar-estatus
    Hey it's Christmas time, time for a shakedown.

  13. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    26,212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It is discrimination, and even in the DR it is illegal.

  14. Likes Russell, Harleysrock liked this post
    Dislikes Corey Kenney disliked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •