Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As a newbie to DR (specifically Sosua), should I use taxis or Uber to get around?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default As a newbie to DR (specifically Sosua), should I use taxis or Uber to get around?

Hi, I am thinking about flying into POP and either heading to Costambar or Sosua . It seems like scams are hugely prevalent for both taxis and Uber. I have read that a lot of Uber drivers cancel fares on you, sometimes mid-travel, or request to "double dip" and request that you pay in cash along with the Uber fare. Should I just pay a taxi their higher fare rates just to avoid the headache of potential Uber scams?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You will be able to find a reliable driver here....

Keep his number.... use him whenever possible
    your fears will be gone
    Someone will give a name...I'm not from that area... but you'll get a good suggestion

Safe trips home at nights....todo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Gua guas and carritos during the day are cool !

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll be hard pressed to find an Uber driver at POP... Your at the mercy of the taxi association. Most will charge $25-35 for a ride into Sosua. PM and I will give you a dependable taxi driver

5. Likes Sosuaplaya liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cruzan1 View Post
    You'll be hard pressed to find an Uber driver at POP... Your at the mercy of the taxi association. Most will charge $25-35 for a ride into Sosua. PM and I will give you a dependable taxi driver
    Thank you for the information. I am interested in the taxi driver suggestion but I can't PM for some reason.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

10 posts required

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Four more posts and you can PM.

Uber us unreliable and spotty in Sosua. No drivers at night and at times throughout the day. Moer drivers closer to Puerto Plata but still no guarantees at odd hours.

The uber app is your friend. If you have a problem, rate the driver accordingly and lodge a complaint through the app.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

taxi mafia has a strong hold on the north coast. sosua is mostly walkable and barba negra has all the merchandise on the spot. stick to taxis for the few rides you will need.

North Coast Moderator

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your obsession with taxis?

Barba Negra will arrange your taxi from POP. Yes, they add a small surcharge but not worth the hassle of trying to do anything different. After travelling you will be only too grateful to be met and got to your "hotel" as quickly and comfortably as possible.

When leaving for the airport from Sosua you will have had plenty of time to ask around and get the best price.

Apart from that you have no need for taxis. Everything in both Costambar and Sosua is walkable or, at worst, a short cheap moto ride. If you want to visit Puerto Plata city or Cabarete for a change of scenery you can use public transport which is dirt cheap.

11. Likes JDJones, karmatourer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by london777 View Post
    What is your obsession with taxis?

Barba Negra will arrange your taxi from POP. Yes, they add a small surcharge but not worth the hassle of trying to do anything different. After travelling you will be only too grateful to be met and got to your "hotel" as quickly and comfortably as possible.

When leaving for the airport from Sosua you will have had plenty of time to ask around and get the best price.

Apart from that you have no need for taxis. Everything in both Costambar and Sosua is walkable or, at worst, a short cheap moto ride. If you want to visit Puerto Plata city or Cabarete for a change of scenery you can use public transport which is dirt cheap.
    I agree almost completely,except some folks on their 1st visit may be a bit skittish using public transport,as easy as it is. So a taxi ride or 2 may change their mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast