Jury Duty

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Hi Everybody,

I have a question for those who moved to DR from
The states. I'm assuming after moving to the DR
You still visit the states once in a while. If you do,
Then I'm also assuming you guys keep an ID or driver licence active. If that is the case, then at one point you will get jury duty letter. If you live in DR , then how do you out of going to jury duty in the states.

Basically, I want to retire in the DR but still want to visit the states once in a while and want to keep state ID active instead of going around with my passport.
If I keep my id active, I may get jury duty letter while I'm on the DR. So I want to know how to handle this so I don't have to travel to the states just for jury duty. Thank

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Very simple, you fill out the questioner and where it asks if you reside in such and such county of the state of so and so you check NO which automatically makes you ineligible to serve jury duty. I have done it twice so far and never a problem.

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Very simple, you fill out the questioner and where it asks if you reside in such and such county of the state of so and so you check NO which automatically makes you ineligible to serve jury duty. I have done it twice so far and never a problem.

True but then they will ask why I have ID for that state if I don't live there. Eveytime my Id expires I will have to renew and they can ask the same question as of why I'm still renewing if I don't live there. Have you face such situations?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
True but then they will ask why I have ID for that state if I don't live there. Eveytime my Id expires I will have to renew and they can ask the same question as of why I'm still renewing if I don't live there. Have you face such situations?

Never had a problem. Just did a questioner about six months ago. I checked I don't live in this county and that was the end of it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you get residency here, get a DR driver's license and use that when you go back to the US for a visit.

Does your state issue a form of ID that isn't a driver's license - Age of majority card, certified ID card etc? Keeping ID valid means going home from time to time to get photographed and to renew it.

Your US passport is all the ID you need, unless you have another reason not to declare that you have left the country...

erod

Apr 9, 2017
If you get residency here, get a DR driver's license and use that when you go back to the US for a visit.

Does your state issue a form of ID that isn't a driver's license - Age of majority card, certified ID card etc? Keeping ID valid means going home from time to time to get photographed and to renew it.

Your US passport is all the ID you need, unless you have another reason not to declare that you have left the country...

yes state issue ID that is not a driver license. the reason i want to keep the ID active is so that i dont have to bring my passport everywhere i go and face the risk of losing it when i go to the states. i rather leave it at my family house or something and use my state ID. the government will select you for jury duty based on your records (ex ID) that you have active.

it is a good idea to have license from DR but i dont know if they will take that as a form of ID when i come to the states.

i can declare that i left the country without any issues. i thought that if i do that and still my ID is active they will question it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I did the the same as bb and didn't have any problem. I think under the comments section I also put I was living in th DR. They'll even excuse you from jury duty if you're out of country on vacation - any kind of hardship will do. Don't sweat it.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I just filled out a form letting them know i was out of the country for an extended period of time (now 13 years) and never have been called.

Bob K

Jan 9, 2004
Jury duty is based on voter registration. Not on ID’s

Not exactly.

In order to widen the potential pool of jurors, many states also work off of drivers licenses. Still others start with the resident list compiled by cities and towns and work from there.

Lots of citizens are not registered to vote, so expanding the ways in which jurors can be chosen expands the concept of "a jury of their peers."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Before I moved here in 2003, I attempted to renew my license in California. I never received a renewal. Then I got a notice for jury duty and a notices to file California State Taxes because I saw I ding on my credit report about failing to do so. Fortunately a phone call to the proper authority cleared up the tax situation and jury duty by telling them I no longer resided there.

If you don't reside in a certain location and wish to deceive the authorities there that you do, you may be able to figure out a way to do so, but normally that is with proof like rental payments if you do not own a home there. And you will potentially have to serve on jury duty.

The best way is to do what you need to do and live legally in the country where you actually live. Then your driver's license will actually be valid there and in the rest of the world, by the way.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Before I moved here in 2003, I attempted to renew my license in California. I never received a renewal. Then I got a notice for jury duty and a notices to file California State Taxes because I saw I ding on my credit report about failing to do so. Fortunately a phone call to the proper authority cleared up the tax situation and jury duty by telling them I no longer resided there.

If you don't reside in a certain location and wish to deceive the authorities there that you do, you may be able to figure out a way to do so, but normally that is with proof like rental payments if you do not own a home there. And you will potentially have to serve on jury duty.

The best way is to do what you need to do and live legally in the country where you actually live. Then your driver's license will actually be valid there and in the rest of the world, by the way.

That's too logical. Probably too much common sense too.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013

I renewed my DL the last time I was there. I used my brother's address. No problem.