Service Dog Ad - a scam or wasted money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
The ad that is rotating on the DR1 Forum pages is a scam or at a minimum advertising a product that is not needed so therefore a waste of money. According to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), there is no requirement for a service dog to be registered, have a certificate or any identification says the animal is a service dog. In fact, there is also no requirement for professional training. It can be owner trained. So the registration the advertiser is selling is completely unnecessary and a waste of money. Am emotional support animal is not covered under the ADA so I can't speak for that group. I have asked Robert to remove that ad from the rotation if possible. It may not be. Still, I hate to see anyone waste money on a product or service that is completely unnecessary!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The ad that is rotating on the DR1 Forum pages is a scam or at a minimum advertising a product that is not needed so therefore a waste of money. According to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), there is no requirement for a service dog to be registered, have a certificate or any identification says the animal is a service dog. In fact, there is also no requirement for professional training. It can be owner trained. So the registration the advertiser is selling is completely unnecessary and a waste of money. Am emotional support animal is not covered under the ADA so I can't speak for that group. I have asked Robert to remove that ad from the rotation if possible. It may not be. Still, I hate to see anyone waste money on a product or service that is completely unnecessary!
Robert may have little, if any, control over those ads. The space is sold to google and other 3rd Party ad services.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You can buy just about anything on-line. If you are trying to scam the airlines or bring your dog into a store claiming it is a service dog than go for it. A real service dog is trained, obedient and a working dog. The intent is to aid and help someone who is physically in need of assistance. People that bring dogs as "support animals " are in a whole different category. At one time my wife and I were interested in getting our dog certified so that we could take her into nursing homes and hospitals to give support to residents and patients. The dog needs to be tested by an actual certifying group that ensures your dog meets the standards of a "support animal". People have abused this and will continue to think they can scam the system for their own benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.