What a pain

viguy007

Nov 25, 2012
I want to contact my life insurance company (AARP) and tell them I am in the Dominican Republic. Their contacts include regular mail and a toll-free telephone number. Claro does not let you make calls to the Toll-Free (800) numbers. The work around I found (880) does not work either. Any suggestions? Thank you

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I want to contact my life insurance company (AARP) and tell them I am in the Dominican Republic. Their contacts include regular mail and a toll-free telephone number. Claro does not let you make calls to the Toll-Free (800) numbers. The work around I found (880) does not work either. Any suggestions? Thank you
Yes, go to its website and get the telephone number that uses the true area code, i.e., the non-toll-free number. That should work.

Jan 9, 2004

This is their international number (not toll free).........1-202-434-3525........can be called until 11:00 PM ET............or email....Member@aarp.org........provide your name, member number, your info request......

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
This is their international number (not toll free).........1-202-434-3525........can be called until 11:00 PM ET............or email....Member@aarp.org........provide your name, member number, your info request......

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Please disregard the above number as that will only get you to AARP...............and you really need to speak with the insurer for AARP............and that according to one of my clients who owns an insurance brokerage is NYLife.

And as luck would have it..................that number is (813) 288-5700 in Tampa, Florida....or www.nylaarp.com. Should you find a way to make toll free calls..1-800-695-5164.

NYLife does not normally do wire transfers for beneficiaries...........so please make sure your beneficiary also has a bank account.

Again.....good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I have life insurance through AARP/ NY Life. Go on-line to newyorklife/aarp.com and you can set up an account with password to be able to access your account and update personal information on-line. Very simple. Why are you telling them that you are in the DR? Any particular reason for this? I'm assuming that the DR is now your permanent address?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Skype, Skype, Skype. Sign up deposit $10.00 and talk whenever you want for next to nothing per minute.
This really isn't difficult. You can use it on a PC, Mac, Android or iPhone.

If you move here this is one thing I recommend everyone have. The other is a 2-sim cell phone with one chip being your home cell number so you can receive text messages from the banks, credit card companies or Amazon, etc.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To me a Magic Jack is the greatest thing to have here. You get a US number, from any State you want. People in the US call you for nothing and you also pay nothing to call the US and Canada. It is used as a regular phone, no headset,etc. And of course 800 numbers are like dialing from Miami. And you don't even need your computer to be on. Hooks up to the router.