Punta Cana vs. Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Las Terrenas?

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
So far, I have visited Puerto Plata, Cabarete and Las Terrenas. Las Terrenas was my favorite but it now difficult to get to. I am thinking of trying Punta Cana next so how does it compare?

Is it just the land of all inclusives or is there a safe local scene where I can wander around, have local cuisine, meet local women, etc?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
There is shopping, restaurants, bars, clubs, business type areas. Plenty of locals. I have never felt unsecure.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The Punta Cana/Bavaro strip stretches for over 10 miles along the beach. It's kind of spead out and there's no real downtown area like in PP, Sosua, Cabarete, or Las Terrenas.

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
The Punta Cana/Bavaro strip stretches for over 10 miles along the beach. It's kind of spead out and there's no real downtown area like in PP, Sosua, Cabarete, or Las Terrenas.
That's a shame. I liked hopping on a motoconcho or just walking the strip and prowling around. That does not go on, in Punta Cana I guess?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's a shame. I liked hopping on a motoconcho or just walking the strip and prowling around. That does not go on, in Punta Cana I guess?

There are bars, clubs, and restaurants like KM said, but they're not all grouped together in one area - they tend to be scattered. There was one spot up at the north end of Bavaro where there were at least a couple restaurants and bars grouped together.

I haven't been there for a few years, so maybe there's a new area now that's a little more like what you're looking for.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Actually there is a small bus run by the city of Bavaro that will take you there. I believe it is free also. Ask a local about that.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
There are bars, clubs, and restaurants like KM said, but they're not all grouped together in one area - they tend to be scattered.

I would suggest the El Cortecito area of Punta Cana for grouped up bars. Not one long endless strip but several groups of bars and restaurants. Onno's near Captain Cook's is one of my favorite bars and Wacamole near the pharmacy on Ave Alemania is another great hangout. Both have several other options within steps. And then there is the whole food truck scene nearby but I have never checked that out. I would like to hear about it from someone who has.

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
I would suggest the El Cortecito area of Punta Cana for grouped up bars. Not one long endless strip but several groups of bars and restaurants. Onno's near Captain Cook's is one of my favorite bars and Wacamole near the pharmacy on Ave Alemania is another great hangout. Both have several other options within steps. And then there is the whole food truck scene nearby but I have never checked that out. I would like to hear about it from someone who has.

The Foodies Trucks are just a short walk from the restaurant row near where Citrus is. There are approximately 15 Trucks that serve all kinds of food..pizza, sushi, burgers. Also a lot of ethnic food is available such as Venezuelan, Mexican, etc. Great place to eat and hang out!

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
The Punta Cana/Bavaro strip stretches for over 10 miles along the beach. It's kind of spead out and there's no real downtown area li ke in PP, Sosua, Cabarete, or Las Terrenas.

That's not true el cortecito/bavaro in the area you can walk around all you want with many nice Restaurants... Stop shooting from your hip..

Reactions: hlevinson

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
Sorry to dust off such an old thread!

An opportunity may be arising where I can finally get back to DR and Punta Cana is a very real option.

Given all that has changed over the years, how much of this info is still valid? So you don't have to scroll all the way up the thread, here was my original message:

So far, I have visited Puerto Plata, Cabarete and Las Terrenas. Las Terrenas was my favorite but it now difficult to get to. I am thinking of trying Punta Cana next so how does it compare?

Is it just the land of all inclusives or is there a safe local scene where I can wander around, have local cuisine, meet local women, etc?

hlevinson

Jan 30, 2024
NJ
Sorry to dust off such an old thread!

An opportunity may be arising where I can finally get back to DR and Punta Cana is a very real option.

Given all that has changed over the years, how much of this info is still valid? So you don't have to scroll all the way up the thread, here was my original message:
Lots of development going on in the Punta Cana area. The El Cortecito / Bavaro is good if you are looking for something more centrally located with activities and markets in the area. You can go further out to Macao or Uvero Alto if you want something more out of the way. But you would likely need a car in either of those areas to get around, or use uber.