american dies after falling off hotel balcony in sosua

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Well, first of all, there is no 4th floor on Hotel Europa. I drove by today and there are 3 floors.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
And they post a picture of his full passport in the article, none of it redacted or blacked out....wtf :confused:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
And they post a picture of his full passport in the article, none of it redacted or blacked out....wtf :confused:
Not the first and pretty sure won't be the last time they do that.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

WTF? Nada :cheeky:
Welcome to life in a "developing" country.
They post what they see.
All this posting... I need another cknugfi drink

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

At least it keeps some of us from speculating who the guy was, in case there might be another guy with a similar name.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Such a tragedy and so young... another foreigner dies in DR and the North Coast... ! Very sad...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Where are the "Sosua detectives" be them private or attention
seeking iecthsb when we really need them?
Perhaps this one will pass the smell test.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Still trying to figure out why someone would jump off the 3rd Floor of a building to commit suicide.. seems kind of iffy unless you land perfectly on cement .. Then Factor in that MANY people do have a change of heart the moment they jump...
( from interviews with BRIDGE jumpers who Survived, and those were the BIG Bridges too )

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
This balcony fall is quite common in Asia (Thailand in particular), the reasoning given is the balcony railing are short and designed for Asian population, a foreigner, who is usually a lot taller, gets drunk and leans against it and off it goes. Also that railings are not well maintained, but that should easily be obvious unless the owner cover it up somehow.

But this is just a theory for some falls, next is the suicide bids, too many old, depressed with no money, expats, find an easy way out.

The last theory, most compelling of all, is that locals who have a grievance with some foreigners, use this common stats, to fly their enemies out of the picture - very hard to prove without proper detective works if you want to rule out 1 and 2 and prove this 3rd scenario. So they normally just add it to the 1 or 2 stats above....

If anything fishy I have very little hope for DR detective Columbos to figure out anything too complicated...

Jul 28, 2014
It is odd, that someone would pay 100's/1000's of dollars to fly to the Caribbean to kill them self. The unit I stayed in, in Europa, was on the 3rd floor, you needed to put in an effort to get over the edge, or be insanely drunk and full flop onto the ledge.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I saw a video clip of a young Dominican guy who did a perfect swan dive off the second floor balcony of a hotel on to the street. He hit the asphalt with the top of his chest and side of his head. He had to have broken some ribs and maybe a shoulder, but other than that, he looked ok!

Onlookers were horrified. He was still moving when the ambulance came to take him to the hospital.