Primary Elections

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I read today that primaries will be held on October 6, 2019 for the 2020 Dominican general election.

Will (absentee) voters need to register with a specific political party in order to vote in the primary? How does this work?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
right. so.

according to the law the parties chose the primaries option that suits them.
PRM opted for closed primaries which means only registered party members can vote.
PLD will hold open primaries, as far as i can tell, even tho semi-open option was also discussed. that means only voters registered in electoral roll of JCE can take part. in addition, they want the pool of the voters to be limited to PLD party members and those not registered in other political parties.
PRD (not that this ghost has any importance) will not hold the primaries at all. i wonder why. oh wait, we all know why.
other parties do not count in this game and some did not decide yet.

read newspapers. it's fun to look at the political section.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
That's a shame. It doesn't seem like it would be too tough for JCE to receive a ballot sent from abroad directly to them in the DR.

What about absentee voting for the general election in 2020?

I've never voted before. Will I need to register with JCE or a political party beforehand?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's a shame. It doesn't seem like it would be too tough for JCE to receive a ballot sent from abroad directly to them in the DR.

What about absentee voting for the general election in 2020?

I've never voted before. Will I need to register with JCE or a political party beforehand?

It depends where you live, contact your nearest Dominican consulate and ask. My husband votes at a local union headquarters in Atlantic City.