Shutting Down Some Moto races

C

chico bill

http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=29784

This is a start and I hope the PN does this on an ongoing basis.
That's 8 motorcycles that won't be on the streets, maybe ever. (we can hope)

If word gets out that the PN are seizing motos (and they are not given back to the miscreants) then the racing will be significantly reduced.

They should do the same seizures for those performing wheelies and motos with non-functioning lights and those with no driver's license or registration papers. In six months their would be a very different and more respectful group of riders.

Yes I know poor guys need a way to work - but poor children need a way to live. Severel killed by wheelies this past two months, including a grandpa in Puerto Plata.

J

JDJones

http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=29784

This is a start and I hope the PN does this on an ongoing basis.
That's 8 motorcycles that won't be on the streets, maybe ever. (we can hope)

If word gets out that the PN are seizing motos (and they are not given back to the miscreants) then the racing will be significantly reduced.

They should do the same seizures for those performing wheelies and motos with non-functioning lights and those with no driver's license or registration papers. In six months their would be a very different and more respectful group of riders.

Yes I know poor guys need a way to work - but poor children need a way to live. Severel killed by wheelies this past two months, including a grandpa in Puerto Plata.

It's not a start (maybe in Puerto Plata). They have been seizing bikes for years. DIGISETT has fields of confiscated bikes. Racers use unregistered bikes anyway, so it barely fazes them.

Go out and snatch a cel phone or two, and they've got another bike to keep racing.

There's big money in a lot of those races. I've heard of many where the pot is 100K or more.

C

chico bill

It's not a start (maybe in Puerto Plata). They have been seizing bikes for years. DIGISETT has fields of confiscated bikes. Racers use unregistered bikes anyway, so it barely fazes them.

Go out and snatch a cel phone or two, and they've got another bike to keep racing.

There's big money in a lot of those races. I've heard of many where the pot is 100K or more.

Maybe - but from the ones I have seen racing, laying flat on their underpowered 150 cc bikes they couldn't scrape together 100K amongst 30 of them. But of course if they are also robbing people on the Malecon, well maybe they do have big purses.

J

JDJones

Maybe - but from the ones I have seen racing, laying flat on their underpowered 150 cc bikes they couldn't scrape together 100K amongst 30 of them. But of course if they are also robbing people on the Malecon, well maybe they do have big purses.

I think you'd be surprised. Not every race is a big money race, but word gets around when it is.

C

cobraboy

I think you'd be surprised. Not every race is a big money race, but word gets around when it is.
Are there any run-what-you-brung moto races by displacement class at the race track?

J

JDJones

Are there any run-what-you-brung moto races by displacement class at the race track?

Couldn't tell ya, CB. I don't follow the racers, just pick up a lot of scuttlebutt about the idiots on the highways.

J

JDJones

57484708_554351045090389_3080981668660510720_n.jpg

C

cobraboy

Couldn't tell ya, CB. I don't follow the racers, just pick up a lot of scuttlebutt about the idiots on the highways.
It woulkd be fun. Maybe a profitable event.

Have a few classes:
0-50cc
51-100cc
101-200cc
200-250cc

Require new tires and be street legal with working headlights and taillights at a minimum.

Pass a displacement tech inspection.

Require full-face helmet, over-the-ankle boots, and abrasion-resistant, armored pants and jacket, and full gloves.

Find sponsors for good top-3 prizes.

Qualifying 1 lap. Heats are 3 laps. Finals are 5 laps.

This event would be spectacular...and maybe packed! Think of all the teams from around the country who would want to prove their chops!

T

tflea

Moto races

Have a few classes:
0-50cc
51-100cc
101-200cc
200-250cc

Require new tires and be street legal with working headlights and taillights at a minimum.

Require full-face helmet, over-the-ankle boots, and abrasion-resistant, armored pants and jacket, and full gloves.

This event would be spectacular...and maybe packed! Think of all the teams from around the country who would want to prove their chops!

Got interested in doing just that some years ago but sponsors didn't want to touch it because of the possible liabilities.

J

JDJones

Have a few classes:
0-50cc
51-100cc
101-200cc
200-250cc

You know something? You're right.

I'm going to suggest this to a good friend of mine who lives in Jarabacoa. He organizes really great motorcyle tours all over the island. He'd be perfect for this.

But then again.. requiring street legal bikes with good tires? That's gonna be tough. :)