white sand beaches in puerto plata area

stevey

May 25, 2002
hi , i was in the dominican republic three years ago , i stayed in bayahibe and boca chica. i'm now traveling to puerto plata but i wanted to make sure that they have white sand beaches at least as nice as bayahibe i want to see that blue transparent water that i saw last time , is it like that ? is the water like that on playa dorada which has different color sand? am i understandable?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They are pretty nice

All along the coast, the beaches are nice and fairly bright.

Certainly as nice as the south shore beaches.

You will enjoy your stay... /

Don't forget to visit Eddy's in Sosua....

HB
farmer.gif

rbazan

Apr 5, 2002
HB,

How about playa grande? Is that nice too. I am thinking of going back to DR. Been to Sosua, Puerto Plata, and Samana (Las Galeras).

Tibu

Mar 19, 2002
Playa Grande is very nice, but has rough water and is dangerous for swimming very often.

6 km west of Playa Grande is Playa Caleton which I strongly recommend.

Tibu

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A hillbilly's thoughts on water clearness

It seems that early in the morning the water is much clearer than say, at 10 or 11 a.m. I think the reason is that when the wind comes up and makes larger and larger waves, these, in urn, stir up more and more stuff, making visibility more difficult.

I always used to snorkel as the sun came up and had good visibility, but that was at Punta Ruc?a.

As for Playa Dorada, I have seen the beach and it has nice waves for body surfing, but I think it might have been rough for a beginner...

There are so many beaches that you can sort of pick and choose.

Out at Las Galeras or Playa Rincon there are nive beaches with calm waters....In Nagua they have some waves...

HB
558.gif

VincenteDiana

Jan 10, 2002
White sand beaches in Puerto Plata

If you're staying in Sosua or Cabarete, the sand is light beige and the water is clear.