Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

One person has now died, and six more being transferred to Santo Domingo. An appalling accident.

http://bavarodigital.net/2019/11/26/...wuNzyet-C2STJ8

Matilda
    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

That's because are these drivers drive like manic's .... Drivers think they are driving a cars and not a 30 ton bus ...that's the one thing i hate the most about driving here is the taxi & bus Drivers with so little knowledge of their vehicles ...

every morning i will see 2 or 3 in the woods shaking their heads if they are lucky......and countless motos body parts all over the road.,,,

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually drove past the accident about 10 minutes after it happened. There was allot of confusion and it looked like a war scene. Many people lying on the grass with serious injuries. The first ambulances were starting to arrive. It appeared people were trapped under the bus. I thought if these are American tourists it will be another massive blow for the tourist industry. It appeared to be one of those medium sized delivery trucks that distribute assorted goods across the country. To knock over that large bus it had to have been going at a tremendous speed. Dont understand how the accident happened as it was not on a blind corner unless the bus braked suddenly. There was a convoy of 4-5 similar tourist buses carrying tourist that must have been traveling in line. That truck was definitely going too fast. Speed Kills! Rescue service did a good job with a quick response.

4. Likes RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    I have lived in the DR a long time. I am used to all the delays, lies etc. no problem however I get really pi**ed off with the Gov for their corruption when it comes to how they "dont' deal" with the transport sindico (MAFIOSO). How many lives will they take before basic road laws are enforced against these punks??? Motherfuc*er will be back on the road driving tomorrow.
    What is the best example of the "blind leading the blind" in the DR?????
    A Dominican taking driving lessons from another Dominican.
    I have lived here for a number of years as well, and fully agree with you. On the other day the DR1 news stated that (some research) when Dominicans go abroad, they follow all the laws of transit just like everyone else. So just as you say, and I think, the problem is not that people cannot drive, the problem is that nobody gives a s**t on how you behave on the road. So the problem originates from the government and them being the source if incompetence.

I used to like traveling all around the island, but with two small kids and all the b******s on the road, I have become a bit cautious. We try to hit the road always when there is less traffic and stay away from motorcycles, trucks with too much gravel and Caribe Tours

Very sorry to hear about this accident, I hope as many as possible survive...

6. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I got cut off by a Monumental van leaving Majestic today. Had guests for the airport on board. Just could not wait for me to enter the 4 lanes correctly. Cut right in front of me. Anyone in the east will understand my love for BULE drivers as well.

Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears from the news that the injured persons are all being taken to public hospitals!! There really should be something in place that injured tourists in events like this are taken to the very best medical facilities and the money side worked out later.

Matilda
    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    It appears from the news that the injured persons are all being taken to public hospitals!! There really should be something in place that injured tourists in events like this are taken to the very best medical facilities and the money side worked out later.

Matilda
    They are just tourist-cattle. Lower on the cast than residence-cattle.

10. Likes RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

May the person who has passed on RIP and the injured recover quickly.

This accident is tragic. However, this happening is not out of the ordinary for the nation's roads. It is a reminder to most Dominicans and resident foreigners, the players of this tragedy, a bus and a truck, are the interchangeable owners of the road. It name tag suggests the chauffeurs can operate as imprudent as they wish. They operate whatever equipment they have. Poorly maintained vehicles are not unusual. Sometimes they get away with it and sometimes they don't.

Well this day's calamity possibly fulfills their pattern. It will be a while before any more details are available.

Regards,

PJT

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Until Digesett begins to religiously chase down every driver observed to be operating their vehicle in an unsafe manner, driving habits in this country will not change. The Govt needs to impose punitive fines for the really stupid things like running red lights, stopping to chat in the middle of the road and of course speeding.

Commercial vehicles should be inspected every year by Intrant mechanics and certified safe. Every two years at marbete renewal time, private vehicles should be inspected as well. It's long past due to get the burnt out tail lights replaced and the brake lights working again.

But alas, there doesn't seem to be the will to do what is necessary just yet.

13. Likes ctrob, irishpaddy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post

Matilda
    On topic of this, you don't know what you are talking about.

Right now, public hospital is THE best trauma center on the East side of the country. I was there today, in the hospitals. I heard the brasses talking. Everyone was there. There were military forces I practically never heard about before. The go erner was thwre. The vice minister of tourism was there. The 911 regional director was there. 20 different public order and military forces were there. Dominican Air Force was there. Most serious cases were taken to the public hospital trauma center. 21 of them. 12 other less serious case were taken to Clinica Cedano. Very light cases to Clinica Libertad and Clínica Perozo. The government was not holding back in assistance. 4 helicopters were called to the service, out of those 1 was aeroambulancia, one was unmarked, and two Dom AF. Higüey Basílica looked like Air show with copters arriving and departing.

I heard the brasses talking that no expense would be spared, orders were given from the very top to provide any and all assistance necessary by all forces and personnel, two cases were transferred to Santo Domingo, one via air and one via road, on mobile trauma center that looked more like a huge huge truck than ambulance, the response as tremendous, involvement of everyone was high, many volunteers. The public hospital attended 21 worst cases, because they have the best prepared trauma center for this, not because of being cheaper to attend there.

Your comment in their post was way off.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast